Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Past Post: Political will is key to Khmer Rouge trial



Past Post: Political will is key to Khmer Rouge trial

Past Post: Political will is key to Khmer Rouge trial

Paper-post.jpg

THIS WEEK IN HISTORY

Vol. 8, No. 17

20 August to 2 September 1999

THE United Nations draft proposal for a trial, with international involvement, for the former leaders of the Khmer Rouge has achieved a unity rarely seen in Cambodia: everybody hates it.

Prime Minister Hun Sen has dismissed the proposal for what he says is a subversion of Cambodia's sovereignty.

Rights workers and legal experts have been appalled at a number of areas, including the softening of the stance by the United Nations that recommended by a team of legal experts led by Sir Ninian Stevens who visited last year, and the lack of an appeals process.

Their recommendation was for a full-scale UN-funded trial outside Cambodia's territory.

The latest proposal to come out of the United Nations Office of Legal Affairs is a considerable step away from that recommended and is based on a joint Cambodian/International tribunal. But even with that amelioration there seems little chance that the UN and the Cambodian government are going to find agreement.

A government spokesman said that the UN is going to have to give some more ground if it wants to be involved.

"The UN will have to compromise even more," they said.

"The two major obstacles in the proposal are the appointment of the judges and the appointment of the prosecutor. I don't see any way that the Cambodian government can accept a majority of non-Cambodian judges or a non-Cambodian prosecutor," they said.

But KR researcher and academic Steve Heder said he believed that the UN had already given too much ground.

"We have seen a retrogression. The UN is increasingly making concessions to accommodate Hun Sen and the Chinese," he said.

And if the compromises go to far, he said, then the trial will not achieve some of its main aims.

"I seriously question whether the proposed tribunal could have the educational and moral effect that it claims it will. The Cambodians will spot right away if there is something in it that doesn't provide justice," he said.

And if further compromises are made, Heder said, "It may end up as the perfect example of how not to do an international genocide trial."

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could