Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Pedophile denies sex assault in hotel room

Pedophile denies sex assault in hotel room

Pedophile denies sex assault in hotel room

120907_04

Swiss pedophile Hugo Stephan Leuthold (C) is escorted by security personnel at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday. Photograph: Pha Lina/Phnom Penh Post

Swiss pedophile Hugo Stephan Leuthold (C) is escorted by security personnel at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday. Photograph: Pha Lina/Phnom Penh Post

An elderly Swiss national with a history of pedophilia charges was accused in the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old boy.

Hugo Stephan Leuthold, 81, was arrested on June 11 at a hotel room in the capital’s Daun Penh district on pedophilia, disobedience and illegal immigration charges.

According to the alleged victim’s testimony, Leuthold met the boy outside Phnom Penh’s Naga World casino and lured him into a boat on the river by offering him $20.

He then allegedly took the boy to a nearby hotel and sexually assaulted him.

“He asked me to take a bath and played with my penis, but we didn’t have sex,” the boy said.

This is the third time in two years Leuthold has been arrested on pedophilia charges.

On September 30, 2010, he was arrested in Thailand by Pattaya tourism police after paying a 12-year-old 500 baht  in return for oral sex. He was granted bail, however, and fined nine million baht.

Nearly three months later, Leuthold was arrested on Christmas Day in Sihanoukville on pedophilia charges and later sentenced to 10 months in Preah Sihaouk prison after sexually abusing four boys between the ages of 11 and 13.

Although denying the pedophilia charges, he pleaded guilty to entering the country illegally by crossing the border at Cham Yeam in a taxi.

“I reject the allegation of committing pedophilia at a hotel room because I actually had a stomach ache,” he said.

Defence lawyer Dun Vibol asked the court to drop all charges because of his client’s age.

The verdict will be announced on September 14.

To contact the reporter on this story: Kim Yuthana at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked