Alexander Trofimov’s final destination was Russia after all, immigration officials told the Post yesterday.
The notorious pedophile, convicted of abusing 17 Cambodian girls between 2005 and 2007, had left for his native Russia by way of South Korea late on Thursday night with documents furnished by the Russian embassy, Sok Vichea, deputy director of the Interior Ministry’s Immigration Department, said.
“I think he is now already arrived in Russia,” Vichea told the Post.
But Trofimov was not accompanied on his journey by police or officials from any of the involved countries.
“We did not accompany him out of the country, and no Russian embassy officials joined him on the trip. We waited and inspected until the plane closed its door and took off.”
Trofimov is on Interpol’s wanted list in connection with three rapes in Russia.
According to Sok Vichea, Trofimov was taken from the Immigration Department and driven directly to the airport and the waiting plane.
Trofimov, an investor in a planned US$300 million mega-resort at Sihanoukville, was originally sentenced to 17 years in prison for his crimes in Cambodia. That sentence was later reduced to eight and a half years, before he received a royal pardon in December.
He was re-arrested earlier this month in Kandal province on deportation orders from the Interior Ministry.
Russian embassy officials could not be reached for comment yesterday.
To contact the reporter on this story: Cheang Sokha at [email protected]