Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - People hit hard by lockdown to receive cash

People hit hard by lockdown to receive cash

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Officials distribute food aid to a red zone resident. Phnom Penh Municipal Administration

People hit hard by lockdown to receive cash

The government has launched the ‘Post-Lockdown Social Assistance in Cash” scheme to support poor people who have been seriously affected by the recent lockdown. The aid will also be provided to families whose members have died from Covid-19 and households whose members had contracted the disease.

The three-page announcement said that during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, Kandal province’s Takmao town and Preah Sihanouk province, the government had already provided food relief and will now provide assistance in cash to poor people in the lockdown areas.

Those eligible for the assistance include drivers, construction workers, street vendors, market staff, rubbish collectors and those who work in the entertainment sectors.

They will each receive a one-off cash transfer through through electronic payments service provider Wing – a single person will get $40; a family with maximum three members will receive $60, and a family with at least four members will get $75.

Each family whose member died from the Covid-19 will receive 300,000 riel ($75). Poor family whose member contracts Covid-19 will receive $40.

Factory workers affected by the lockdown will receive $40.

The procedures and date of receiving the cash will be announced by the National Council for Social Security Fund.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy