Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Peschoux says government sidelined him



Peschoux says government sidelined him

Peschoux says government sidelined him

The ministry of Foreign Affairs last year asked other ministries to cease cooperation with the country head of the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, Christophe Peschoux, who will take a new position in Geneva in May, he said yesterday.

Peschoux, who has researched human rights in the Kingdom for OHCHR since the 1990s and took the office’s head spot in 2007, said the government made repeated requests to the UN last year seeking his ouster.

“There was a request last year by the government to replace me. That request was made to the [UN] high commissioner [for human rights Navi Pillay] in August and she declined on the grounds that there was no sufficient grounds,” he said.

That same request was made by Prime Minister Hun Sen in October to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, who was visiting at the time.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs later sent a notice “to all government institutions that requested all of them to stop cooperating with me, and since then I have not had any access to government officials”, Peschoux said.

OHCHR sent a letter, obtained yesterday by The Post, informing the Ministry of Foreign Affairs last week that he would take up a new “senior position with global responsibilities” in Geneva, and be replaced on an interim basis by deputy representative James Heenan on May 2.

Koy Kuong, spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, declined to comment yesterday on Peschoux’s departure.

Ou Virak, president of the Cambodian Centre for Human Rights, said he was “deeply disappointed” by the move and expressed admiration for Peschoux.

“The contempt in which Christophe Peschoux is held by members of the Cambodian government is reflective of their general contempt for anyone bold enough to offer criticisms of their policies, acts and omissions,” Ou Virak said in a statement yesterday.

“While it seems that the UN human rights office in Cambodia will remain open for the time being, its independence is undermined when the government can have such a say in determining its make-up.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting