Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phnom Penh commune chief wanted for questioning

Phnom Penh commune chief wanted for questioning

A man receives medical attention in Phnom Penh after he was allegedly assaulted by a commune chief last month. National Police
A man receives medical attention in Phnom Penh after he was allegedly assaulted by a commune chief last month. National Police

Phnom Penh commune chief wanted for questioning

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court has summonsed a commune chief for questioning after he allegedly assaulted and hospitalised a teenage security guard and went into hiding.

Ey Rin, an administrative chief at the court, yesterday said a summons had been issued for Hor Hourt, chief of Prek Pra commune, to appear for questioning on November 22.

Hourt has eluded police since the alleged attack where he slapped the victim, Meas Domdey, 19, across the ear, causing him to fall and hit his head on a rock structure near his security guard post. Domdey was rushed to hospital after he began suffering seizures and had difficulty breathing.

Dr Ang Eng Sopheap, deputy chief at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital’s traumatology and neurosurgery unit, yesterday said Meas stayed three days at the hospital but was sent to Vietnam for further treatment as his condition deteriorated.

Meas’ mother, Eurng Sokha, 55, from Svay Reing, said the accident had changed her son. “His voice is changing because it is difficult to speak, and his left hand is still hurting. He becomes very angry easily; he is unlike before,” she said.

“We just want justice and compensation. Before, he supported the family, but now he cannot work, so it is really hard for us.”

Chbar Ampov district deputy police chief Moa Seurn said Hourt had not been located since the assault complaint was lodged.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said