Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phnom Penh to up security at festival




Phnom Penh to up security at festival

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
People flock to Phnom Penh’s riverside to watch boat races during Water Festival celebrations in 2014. Prime Minister Hun Sen called on the authorities to beef up security during this year’s festival. Vireak Mai

Phnom Penh to up security at festival

Prime Minister Hun Sen called on the authorities to beef up security to maintain public order during the Water Festival.

Speaking in front of hundreds of children and officials at an event in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district, Hun Sen said millions of people from the provinces will flock to the capital during the three-day holiday.

“Please pay more attention to the security and maintenance of public order during the [big festival] which will see millions of people coming from the rural areas to Phnom Penh,” he said.

Phnom Penh governor Khuong Sreng predicted over three million people will watch the traditional boat races – the Water Festival’s signature programme.

Phnom Penh Municipal Hall spokesman Meth Meas Pheakdey said he is “hopeful” that the number of visitors coming to the city this year will be higher than that of last year.

“With the heightened security and increased salary of garment workers, I hope that there will be more people enjoying the festival in the capital this year,” Pheakdey said.

Phnom Penh police chief Sar Theth said mixed forces comprising more than 10,000 officers will be deployed throughout the city to beef up security.

He stressed that the police “is ready” to maintain safety. “We will not allow a situation like the 2010 stampede incident to happen again.”

Meanwhile, the municipal hall on Friday notified booth owners, vendors and event organisers to provide rubbish bins for the disposal of goods from their businesses.

It also called on boat racers and festival-goers to maintain hygiene and cleanliness in public places during the festival.

In a separate statement, the municipal hall announced that a few regulations will be enforced from November 20-24, by which all types of passenger vans, trucks – including concrete mixer trucks and those that transport goods – and motorcycle trailers will not be allowed to enter the capital.

Similarly, construction activities have been instructed to be halted during the same period.

Trucks that travel through National Road 1, the statement said, must be parked at the compound of Niroth pagoda and the parking lot at Chbar Ampov market.

Truck drivers that travel through National Road 2 are advised to park their vehicles at the Chak Angre Krom parking lot and in the compound of Chak Angre Krom secondary school.

The latter is also where passenger vans and motorcycle trailers should be parked while the regulations are in place, apart from the compound of Chak Angre Leu pagoda and along Hun Sen Boulevard.

MOST VIEWED

  • CDRI poll: Most happy but disappointments still exist

    A survey has found that over 70 per cent of Cambodian youths and adults approve of the direction the country is headed in, with the majority of respondents saying they had been doing better financially over the past five years. However, more than half said they

  • Drugs raid on Miami Night Club, 50 held

    Anti-drugs police raided a club in Chamkarmon district’s Boeung Keng Kang I commune in Phnom Penh early on Thursday, arresting some 50 people and confiscating drug-producing equipment and suspected illegal substances. Deputy National Police chief Mok Chito said on Thursday that police conducted the raid

  • Phnom Penh: The street food you adore, but given a refined twist

    There is no shortage of street food vendors scattered across Phnom Penh, but what is far rarer is finding a place that also has comfortable seating, good hygiene and parking. This is where Jing Ling and her five friends step in. With the concept of

  • Battambang court releases minor who shot boy

    The Battambang provincial court on Thursday released a 14-year-old boy who had been detained for accidentally firing a home-made gun and killing a nine-year-old boy in Samlot district on Tuesday, provincial court spokesman Tieng Sambor said. Sambor told The Post on Thursday that following the