Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phnong rally in Mondulkiri

Phnong rally in Mondulkiri

Ethnic minority villagers from Pech Chreada district hold placards during a demonstration in Mondulkiri
Ethnic minority villagers from Pech Chreada district hold placards during a demonstration in Mondulkiri to raise awareness about ongoing disputes with holders of economic land concessions. ADHOC

Phnong rally in Mondulkiri

About 200 ethnic Phnong villagers gathered in Mondulkiri province’s Bousraa commune yesterday to protest against several companies that hold economic land concessions in the area, which they say are destroying their traditional livelihoods.

The villagers from Pech Chreada district accused the Kau Su Dak Lak Company and French-owned rubber giant Socfin of digging channels that blocked roads used by the villagers, cutting off access to a nearby forest where they harvest forest products.

The villagers also accused a company called LKL of firing on ethnic minority villagers on September 6 when they stopped to take a break from hunting in a community forest in the same district.

Malaysian-owned Mega First Corporation and a firm the villagers called K-First had also indicated that they might obstruct roads used by the villagers, community representative Khut Chanra, 38, claimed.

Following the demonstration yesterday morning, villagers met with Pech Chreada district governor and Bousraa commune chief Yeut Trin.

“We asked them to cancel some companies’ concessions because they fired on people, causing injuries in the past. [We also] asked for freedom of movement, to not let them block our road. We want a written promise or else we will not stop protesting and we will go to Phnom Penh,” Chanra said.

“But the authorities said it was not their responsibility. We used to live in harmony in a traditional indigenous manner, but since the development started in 2006, it has affected our living,” he added.

Commune chief Trin told the Post that he would seek a resolution for the community, but that some of what they were asking was “beyond my responsibility”. He declined to comment further.

So Sovann, deputy provincial police chief, said that the authorities had identified the assailants in the shooting incident last week.

“There is a sole shooter and he is on the run. We also questioned the company. I ordered the district police chief to send me the case,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman