Dany Deng Import Export Co Ltd (Dany Deng) has requested the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries to renew its pig-importing licence after it was revoked due to the company’s negligence.
The ministry’s General Directorate of Animal Health and Production director-general Tan Phannara said last week that the company had repeatedly made mistakes while importing live pigs from Thailand.
Dany Deng’s offences included transporting more pigs than agreed to and failing to present clear animal health certificates from Thailand, which is the main source of pigs for the Cambodian market.
Phannara said: “Although the ministry has imposed fines and warned Dany Deng to stop overloading pigs, the company still committed errors.
“On April 21, it promised to not make any more mistakes. But on May 5, the company made the same mistake. Therefore, the ministry had to cancel its licence.”
Dany Deng owner, Khov Heng, told The Post his latest infraction was caused by the negligence of the management and logistics staff of the company in Oddar Meanchey province.
However, he acknowledged it was the overall responsibility of the whole company.
“Our company accepts the fine in accordance with the law for all mistakes made by our team unintentionally. Our company requests the Ministry to allow us to renew the licence for importing live pigs from Thailand,” he said.
Heng said he employs nearly 70 workers and deals with about 100 pork business partners throughout Cambodia. The cancellation of the company’s licence will result in the unemployment of his staff, leaving his workers unable to support themselves.
The latest complaint about Dany Deng came on May 5, when officials from the General Directorate of Animal Health and Production of the ministry cooperated with Banteay Meanchey provincial officials to stop one of the company’s lorries.
It was found to have 60 pigs onboard, 20 over the number requested by the Oddar Meanchey Animal Health and Production Office.
Officials also found that the company had used fraudulent health certificates for the pigs.
The lorry was sent to Phnom Penh to test the pigs for diseases, but the journey was prevented by a Kampong Thom provincial mixed police force, who asked officials to return the truck to Oddar Meanchey to solve the problem.
On May 9, the ministry cancelled Dany Deng’s licence.
In a separate case, the ministry temporarily suspended the pig importing licenses of Chanthou Mean Chey Import Export Co Ltd and 3-Th Agri Development Co Ltd on April 30 after they were found selling and transferring their trading rights to other traders and overloading their lorries with live pigs.
The ministry’s removal and temporary suspensions of the licenses were said to have the effect of ensuring the stability of domestic pig prices and promoting local livestock producers.
Cambodia Pig Farmers Association Chairman Srun Pov said at present, Cambodia can raise 2.3 million pigs per year, which can supply up to 82 per cent of the annual domestic demand. The other 18 per cent is imported from neighbouring countries.
Due to the outbreak of Covid-19 which reduced consumer demand, domestic pig production is adequately supplied.
“We support the ministry’s actions of withdrawing licenses from the three companies. We would like the ministry to take the same action against other companies or businesses that have violated their contracts and instructions from the ministry,” he said.