Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Piles of cut logs rotting on border



Piles of cut logs rotting on border

Piles of cut logs rotting on border

K RATIE - About 800,000 cubic meters of cut logs are sitting rotting in Kratie province along the Cambodian-Vietnamese border, according to provincial governor Nou Phoeung.

The timber - most of which was owned by the police, military or illegal private loggers - had been mounting up since 1992 in Snoul district.

Vietnamese officials' refusal to allow the logs to be exported there - a policy in force since UNTAC banned logging exports during the elections - was causing the stockpiles.

The governor said the Cambodian government had since approved the exporting of the timber, but the Vietnamese had still not opened the border.

Some of the timber had been smuggled into Vietnam, while other, legally-cut logs were being exported to Singapore and Malaysia.

Po Sarith, a Snoul district official, said logging was still continuing at a face pace.

An NGO worker in Kratie, who would not be named, said the province's forests were in danger of being wiped out by such large-scale logging.

He said local military officers allowed illegal logging to continue. "They have the weapons; they give the permission."

Phoeung denied that his officers would give official permission for the cutting and transporting of logs, saying only the Ministry of Agriculture could do that.

But it was hard to stop people who were determined to carry out logging.

"Not only the military, even the farmers can log even though they have no permission."

He said some of the logging was done in Khmer Rouge areas, and truckers who transported the timber paid the rebels in food, medicines or even guns.

"This is very dangerous for our government."

Phoeung said about 60 percent of the logging of Kratie forests was done by three foreign companies, while 52 local firms cut an estimated 50,000 cubic meters each year.

Government sources said that twenty to 30 per cent of timber exports from the area were illegal.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman