Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Plaintiffs heard in Beehive embezzlement suit

Plaintiffs heard in Beehive embezzlement suit

Beehive Social Democratic Party vice president Heang Rithy enters Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday to attend a hearing for the ongoing case against Mam Sonando.
Beehive Social Democratic Party vice president Heang Rithy enters Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday to attend a hearing for the ongoing case against Mam Sonando. Hong Menea

Plaintiffs heard in Beehive embezzlement suit

An investigating judge at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday questioned three officials from activist radio station owner Mam Sonando’s Beehive Social Democratic Party regarding their suit against Sonando for alleged embezzlement of party funds.

Court clerk Sok Sothea said yesterday that investigating judge Ly Sok Leng had completed his questioning of party vice president Heang Rithy, secretary-general Nhem Bunthan and deputy secretary-general Heang Kimsroeun, who are seeking the dissolution of the recently resurrected party.

“Their questioning is now finished, and the investigating judge will summon Mr Mam Sonando to explain about this case next week,” he said.

Sok Leng could not be reached for comment.

Rithy, the plaintiffs’ representative, told reporters yesterday that, in addition to the disbanding of the party, the three are seeking a temporary suspension of the party’s activities and are asking that the court seize the funds Sonando allegedly embezzled and donate them to the poor.

“The reason we have requested the court to dissolve the Beehive Social Democratic Party is that we do not want to see people cheated by the politician Mr Mam Sonando, who is a fake democrat and a corrupt man,” he said.

“He took generous donations from people abroad that they provided to him to give to the poor . . . [and used them] to buy his houses and lands.”

Rithy said the group is also considering filing a separate complaint to the Anti-Corruption Unit.

Sonando and his lawyer could not be reached for comment yesterday, but in an interview last week, he denied the allegations and threatened to countersue if the case “affected my honour”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chinese-owned shops are on the rise in central Phnom Penh

    Informal businesses owned by Chinese nationals are on the rise in central Phnom Penh, especially in Tonle Bassac commune, surrounding Koh Pich. Such businesses have sprung up notably in Central Market, Orussey Market, Sovanna Shopping Mall, Rattana Plaza, as well as Kakab commune across from

  • Breaking: Eighty-three containers of waste at S'ville port came from US, Canada

    The plastic waste found in 83 containers at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port on Tuesday came from the US and Canada, the Ministry of Environment has said. The huge shipment of rubbish weighs some 1,600 tonnes. Officials are continuing their investigation to find the company or individuals responsible for

  • ‘Long road for Cambodia bill to reach the White House’

    Analysts have questioned whether the “The Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019” bill would be passed by the US Senate and finally signed off by the president after its approval by the lower chamber, the House of Representatives, on Monday. Introduced by Republican Representative for Florida Ted

  • Two men arrested for stealing $2M

    Two men were arrested on Friday accused of stealing $2 million from a company after their employer sent them to withdraw the cash in Phnom Penh. Phnom Penh municipal police chief Sar Thet said on Sunday that the suspects were 37 years old and one was a