Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Plan Int’l lays out $55M blueprint for five years

Plan Int’l lays out $55M blueprint for five years

School students complete exercises last year during class in Preah Vihear.
School students complete exercises last year during class in Preah Vihear. Hong Menea

Plan Int’l lays out $55M blueprint for five years

Plan International Cambodia yesterday launched its most recent five-year plan for the Kingdom, announcing an estimated $55 million in funding for a raft of programs targeting aid for children, women and ethnic minorities.

The plan covers a wide range of areas including early childhood care and development, child protection, sanitation, water, nutrition and education, said Andrew Hill, deputy country director of programs at Plan International. The programs will focus on three provinces – Ratanakkiri, Stung Treng and Siem Reap.

“I think this plan will contribute to government efforts to ensure that gender discrimination and the lack of opportunities for boys and girls, especially in remote areas, is diminished,” he said.

The plan was designed based on an analysis of the child rights situation in the country, among other factors, said Jan Jaap Kleinrensink, country director for Plan International.

Education Minister Hang Chuon Naron yesterday praised the latest initiative, saying it “has fine core programs related to the education sector”.

“I strongly believe that the launch of this strategic plan will not only improve education, but the welfare of women and children,” he said.

For example, issues related to marriages in adolescence will be tackled under the plan.

“One of the leading factors leading girls to get married is the lack of access to opportunities,” Hill said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • Four-pillar approach in reopening of tourism: PM

    Cambodia is drawing up a four-strategy approach to promptly restore domestic and international tourism activity and put the industry on a transition pathway to a sustainable and inclusive model that is resistant to future crises, according to Prime Minister Hun Sen. The prime minister made

  • Airline says ready for green light to reopen international tourism

    Sky Angkor Airline Co Ltd on September 21 said it is ready to transport South Korean and Chinese tourists to the Kingdom once the Cambodian government makes good on plans to reopen its borders to vaccinated travellers. The Siem Reap-based airline made the remark during a

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Cambodian bride ‘badly treated, held captive’ by Chinese man seeks help

    A Cambodian woman who travelled to China to marry a Chinese man there was “badly treated” by her husband’s family and then had to be rescued and will be returned to Cambodia to ensure her safety. The rescue operation came about after the 25-year-old