Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Plans unveiled for tourist area in Anlong Veng




Plans unveiled for tourist area in Anlong Veng

Plans unveiled for tourist area in Anlong Veng

OFFICIALS in Anlong Veng, the last bastion of the Khmer Rouge regime, on Tuesday unveiled details of their plans to develop the district into a tourist attraction, an initiative that was given formal approval by the Cabinet of Prime Minister Hun Sen late last week.

Peuy Saroeun, the deputy governor of Anlong Veng, said officials had submitted a plan to the Council of Ministers calling for the refurbishment of 21 homes belonging to Khmer Rouge leaders and other cadre, as well as warehouses where munitions were stashed.

He said the homes identified in the plan belonged to regime leaders such as Pol Pot, Nuon Chea, head of state Khieu Samphan and Ta Mok, the Central Committee member whose former compound in Anlong Veng is currently an attraction administered by the Ministry of Tourism.

“We have plans to transform 21 houses and also the warehouses where the Khmer Rouge stored munitions into historical tourist sites,” Peuy Saroeun said.

He added that all of the homes were located within 1 kilometre of the Chom border crossing with Thailand.

Hun Sen’s Cabinet on Friday signed a sub-decree giving a green light to the development of the former stronghold, saying it would allow “national and international guests to visit and understand the last political leadership of the genocidal regime”.

The premier has asked Cabinet officials to compile a guidebook to the area that includes a description of his “win-win policy” to defeat the Khmer Rouge.

Peuy Saroeun said the specifics of the plan from the Anlong Veng officials had not been approved, and that he could not provide information about how much the plan would cost, or where the necessary funds would come from.

Kong Sophearak, director of the Ministry of Tourism’s Statistics and Tourism Information Department, said he did not know about the plan and could not say when it might be approved, but said that the development of Anlong Veng would serve to diversify Cambodia’s tourist attractions.

“We do not just have temples for them to visit – we have other things,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15