Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PM: Prevent illegal exports of timber



PM: Prevent illegal exports of timber

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Minister of Agriculture Veng Sokhon speaks at the ministry’s annual review on Thursday. Photo supplied

PM: Prevent illegal exports of timber

Prime Minister Hun Sen on Thursday urged relevant authorities to stamp out the export of timber abroad without authorisation and transparency.

Speaking during an annual meeting of the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries on Thursday, Hun Sen called on officials to work together in combating forestry crimes and speedily demarcate forest land and flooded forest to prevent further encroachment.

“The National Committee for Forestry Crime Prevention headed by [National Military Police commander] Sao Sokha shall continue to strengthen the management of natural resources and in particular prevent the unauthorised export of timber and forestry products of all types abroad through both [international] border checkpoints and along corridors,” he said.

According to a report released by the ministry, the number of forestry crimes involving logging and poaching totalled 1,093 cases last year, a decrease of 335 cases compared to 2017.

Of the 1,093 cases, 582 resulted in fines and 511 were sent to court. Fisheries crimes, the report said, totalled 3,204 cases, a decrease of 721 cases compared to the previous year.

Civil society organisations and local forest protection communities claim forestry crimes have continued unabated. They have said that when combating the crimes, authorities only confiscate illegally logged timber and fail to detain perpetrators for prosecution, prompting a repeat of the offences.

Pen Bunna, a community empowerment official at rights group Adhoc, said the culture of impunity has abetted forestry crimes.

He urged authorities to hunt down perpetrators regardless of their connections and social status and bring them to court. He added that authorities mostly seize timber left over by perpetrators in the forest.

“The figures are impressive, but they don’t reflect efficiency and effectiveness in combating the crimes. Although the number has decreased compared to previous years, the forest [throughout the Kingdom] is still huge."

“So if we roughly estimate the number of forestry crime, it would amount to no less than 100,000 cases. How many perpetrators have been arrested? Hardly any, especially the rich and powerful – they always evade arrest. It’s unacceptable to me and the communities who have been working to protect natural resources,” he said.

Phok Hong, a Prey Lang Community Network (PLCN) member in Preah Vihear province, said she had seen no signs that forestry crimes involving logging and poaching in the province had decreased. She said sometimes the sound of sawing could be heard throughout the forest, with authorities turning a blind eye.

Hong claimed some officials had even colluded with perpetrators.

“I’m not blaming all officials because some of them are good and attentive. But some collude with offenders. Forestry crimes still happen again and again. When we patrol the forest, the perpetrators run away. But when we come back home, they return to continue their logging. They seem to have received a tip-off,” she said.

Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries spokesman Srey Vuthy said: “Critics will be critics – they criticise us but have no idea how hard we have tried to stop the crimes. We have our difficulties, so if they spot forestry crimes anywhere and are unable to take action, they should report it directly to the ministries of Agriculture and Environment in order for us to help combat the crimes.

“The law states the forest belongs to us all, so we must help each other. Depending on the authorities alone would not be plausible,” he said.

According to a Ministry of Agriculture report, community forest had increased to 508,000ha covering 614 communities as of last year.

For January this year, the report said, forestry crimes involving logging and poaching totalled 58 cases, of which 30 resulted in fines and 28 sent to court.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year