Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PM’s construction edict goes provincial



PM’s construction edict goes provincial

People pass a construction site at NagaWorld yesterday in Phnom Penh. The government yesterday asked all provincial governors to be diligent in shutting down construction that encroaches on public land.
People pass a construction site at NagaWorld yesterday in Phnom Penh. The government yesterday asked all provincial governors to be diligent in shutting down construction that encroaches on public land. Hong Menea

PM’s construction edict goes provincial

Following the lead of Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction yesterday sent a letter to all provincial governors, urging them to identify and shut down building sites that illegally encroach on public land.

The letter comes hot on the heels of the premier’s Sunday Facebook post in which he warned investment companies and officials against colluding to build unlawful projects. The same post ordered all infringing buildings to be dismantled immediately and put the onus on the relevant authorities and ministries to make it happens.

“All the future illegal constructions constructed on public land have to be prevented,” Hun Sen said in the statement.

The Facebook post followed last week’s chance inspection of a construction site at NagaWorld, during which the premier determined that segments of the building were unlawfully protruding into public spaces. City Hall ordered the gaming giant to take down the infringing construction just hours later.

The ministry’s letter, published on Tuesday, orders provincial governors to better disseminate the rules against building on public land and called for local governments to identify infringing buildings and force their owners to pull down any segments in violation.

Kampong Thom Provincial Governor Out Sam Orn said yesterday that upon hearing the premier’s exhortation and receiving the ministry’s letter, the provincial hall had told local authorities and experts to collect information about sidewalks and public gardens in their territories.

He added that provincial authorities had already dismantled a building yesterday in accordance with the new crackdown, but was quick to insist they had not been asleep at the wheel. “It does not mean that we did this after we saw the announcement, but the announcement is the motivating force to make our implementation better and more effective than before,” he said.

Several other provincial governors did not respond to phone calls yesterday.

Illegal building on public land often accompanies the builders’ collusion with local authorities, said Sia Phearum, the executive director of the NGO Housing Rights Task Force.

“We have to figure out who is in charge in these cases, but we cannot completely blame them, because their salary is small and they do not understand about the public land,” he said. “They permit a person or company to illegally build on state land so that they could get some money to support their families.”

He urged that the government and Ministry of Land Management to create an inventory of state land, public gardens, lakes or canals and teach their staff to prevent “anarchic construction”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said