Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PMs kick off Rt 4 repairs



PMs kick off Rt 4 repairs

PMs kick off Rt 4 repairs

U NITED STATES contractors Fischback International will rebuild nine new bridges and repair 30 others as part of their $24 million facelift of Route 4 between Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville.

Work is expected to start soon and be finished by April 1996.

Co-Prime Ministers Prince Norodom Ranariddh and Hun Sen presided over the ground-breaking ceremony on Oct 25, together with American Ambassador Charles Twining and Public Works Minister Ing Kiet.

Route 4 was originally built with American aid between 1956 and 1959.

During years of war and natural disasters the highway, the main link between Cambodia's capital and its only sea port, had seriously deteriorated.

Ranariddh said: "The United States promptly accepted our proposal [to repair the highway] as a top priority.

"There was an urgent need for our people to move forward for the economic development of the country.

"This transportation network facilitates not only export of Cambodia natural resources, but the import of all kinds of products to help the rehabilitation of commercial, agricultural and social sectors," he said.

Ranariddh said he was convinced that rural development, tourism and the transport and communications network would flourish with the completion of the new highway.

Kiet said the road would be seven meters wide with a 2.5m shoulder on both sides. As many as 300 Cambodians would be employed on the project, and 175 foreign workers.

The $24 million will be drawn from USAID, and Fischbach had been selected as contractor by the United States government.

The Post has previously reported that the project had angered some Cambodian construction companies who had complained of being frozen out, and that 75 percent of the work had been sub-contracted out to Thai companies.

One Cambodian construction company also complained that Fischbach had no road building experience.

Parts of the highway were mined or had unexploded ordinance nearby, and Khmer Rouge activity had increased in the area this year.

However, more recently police and army officials have made a commitment to beef up security along both Routes 3 and 4 and to root out illegal checkpoints.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman