Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PM’s in-law charged over link to cockfighting rings

PM’s in-law charged over link to cockfighting rings

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A bulldozer destroys a cockfighting ring after a bust in Takeo province. Photo supplied

PM’s in-law charged over link to cockfighting rings

An in-law of Prime Minister Hun Sen was charged yesterday with operating two large cockfighting rings, seemingly following direct orders from Hun Sen himself, who appears to have invited officials to shoot his errant relative if he resisted arrest.

Kandal Provincial Court spokesman So Sarin said court Director Hok Vanthyna charged Thai Phany – the son-in-law of Hun Sen’s brother, Hun San – with operating a gambling facility yesterday. He faces up to five years in prison if convicted.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Hun Chanthol with Thai Phany,

Calling Phany the “mastermind” behind both cockfighting rings, Sarin said 60 other people who were rounded up in the Kandal raid were released yesterday after being sentenced to one-month terms that were immediately suspended.

Phany, who is also known by the nickname “Thai Mab”, turned himself in to authorities on Monday night after two cockfighting stadiums allegedly owned by him – one in Takeo province’s Bati district and one in Kandal province’s Lvea Em district – were busted by police.

Provincial officials previously denied rumours that the crackdown had been ordered by the premier or that the two raids were connected.

However, in an undated audio recording leaked on the messaging app WhatsApp yesterday, the prime minister appears to authorise police in Takeo and Kandal provinces to use deadly force when arresting Phany.

“You can contact Hun Manith to find [his hideout],” Hun Sen says in the recording. “You need to carry out the task. If he resists, you can shoot and kill him in order to end the case there.”

San Chey, the country director of the Affiliated Network for Social Accountability in East Asia and the Pacific, questioned whether authorities would have taken action at all without the premier’s blessing, and called the release of the 60 others “ridiculous”.

“I want an investigation into this, because it’s not only one person,” Chey said. “There are also others who are behind the operation and authorities who did not crack down. I don’t believe there would have been a crackdown without Prime Minister Hun Sen making an announcement.”

Phany, an official at the Ministry of Defence, had apparently operated the rings freely for months.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Officials escort suspects arrested during a bust of a cock-fighting ring yesterday in Kandal province. Fresh News

Authorities in Kandal had been ordering Phany to shut his cockfighting ring since last May, but he reopened it in March of this year, according to the Cambodia Daily.

In Takeo province, meanwhile, locals said the cockfighting arena was widely known to belong to “a relative of Hun San”, and said it had been in operation for several months, with luxury cars causing traffic jams on fight nights.

Kandal Governor Mao Phirun declined to go into details about the case yesterday. “We should not talk much about it as it leads to a long story.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials