Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Poipet general demoted for assault of teen



Poipet general demoted for assault of teen

Poipet general demoted for assault of teen

A brigadier general has been demoted for allegedly assaulting a teenage girl at a restaurant, and may face criminal charges, officials said yesterday.

According to a Poipet town police report in January, Neth Samath threw a bowl at 17-year-old Chin Srey Neang, striking her in the head.

Chhum Socheat, spokesman for the Ministry of Defence, said yesterday that Samath was removed from his position as deputy chief of border relations, and relegated to a small-time office post.

The case was handled within the ministry, he said, and has not been sent to the court.

A contract obtained yesterday by The Post shows Srey Neang’s mother, Phon Malis, agreeing not to press charges against Samath in exchange for 1.4 million riel (about $350).

“The two of us decided not to file the complaint because he apologised and admitted his mistake,” the contract reads.

However, according to Sum Chankea, the provincial coordinator for the rights group Adhoc, Malis is now claiming she originally requested $1,500, and will file criminal charges against Samath.

“She needs more money to pay for her treatment. Her family is poor, so she filed the complaint to Adhoc,” Chankea said.

Chankea added that Samath, who could not be reached yesterday, did not have the authority to negotiate compensation outside of court in what is technically a criminal case.

Sith Los, deputy provincial police chief, said his officials had been unable to speak to the victim previously because she had declined to cooperate or press charges.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting