Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police guard empty house while tycoon’s wife flees

Police guard empty house while tycoon’s wife flees

Police guard empty house while tycoon’s wife flees

A tycoon's wife has fled the family’s Phnom Penh mansion in the wake of last week’s accusations that she regularly beat and abused two girls held captive there for more than seven years, police said yesterday.

Pol Pithey, chief of the Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Police, told the Post that by the time police had been ordered to guard the Tuol Kork district mansion of oknha Veng Lyphytech to prevent the escape of his wife, Ly Pov, she already had left.

They later realised they were guarding the house for nothing, he said.  

Following Pov’s flight, he added, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court issued a warrant for her arrest, and police at the Ministry of Interior on Friday and Saturday questioned her husband, Lyphytech, who owns the Borey Vimean Sopheak Mongkul Apartments.

“Our police experts already finished questioning oknha Veng Lyphytech on Saturday,” Pithey said. “According to his answers as well as one of the two victims’ answers at our police office, the oknha was not involved with this case; rather, his wife alone did it. However, we will continue to further investigate him in this case.”

One of the two 17-year-old victims told police that the oknha sometimes had argued with his wife over her cruel treatment of the girls, Pithey said.  

Following his questioning, Lyphytech was allowed to return home on Sunday after he signed an agreement with police promising to appear at the police station if summoned in the future and to help find his wife and bring her to the police for questioning, Pithey said.

Police were now working to find and arrest Pov, he added.

Meas Chanpiseth, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court deputy prosecutor responsible for the case, could not be reached, but a court clerk who asked not to be named yesterday confirmed the court had issued a warrant for Pov’s arrest late last week.

“She was charged with committing torture and cruelty,” he said.

Hang Sayon, an investigation team leader at anti-trafficking NGO SISHA, said his organisation’s lawyers would give the victims legal support, but he did not yet know whether their case would involve Pov alone or others, too.

Police had told him the girls escaped when a guard at the mansion went to lunch, Sayon said, but added that further investigation was necessary to verify all the girls’ claims.

The two victims and their families were unavailable for comment yesterday. 

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY JUSTINE DRENNAN

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked