Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police hunt suspects in connection with 1,000 Takeo cannabis plants



Police hunt suspects in connection with 1,000 Takeo cannabis plants

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Police destroyed 1,398 cannabis trees in Takeo province on Sunday. Photo supplied

Police hunt suspects in connection with 1,000 Takeo cannabis plants

Takeo provincial police are on the lookout for individuals who grew over 1,000 cannabis plants on six fields across Preah Bat Chonchum commune’s Chroy village, Kiri Vong district deputy police chief Hiem Srim said on Wednesday.

He said the hunt was instigated because suspects “would not stop planting cannabis around the radio tower in Chroy village, even after the crackdown”.

Earlier on Sunday, Srim noted, provincial and district police raided the fields – totalling at least 979sqm – and destroyed 1,398 marijuana plants, as well as one water storage, upon receiving reports from the villagers.

“The people who illegally grew those plants have escaped. I have no idea how many of them there were. A team of experts is currently investigating and searching for the suspects so that they could be punished accordingly,” he said.

In Savuth, the commune police chief, told The Post on Wednesday that he did not partake in the bust.

A 2018 report released by a committee tasked to combat illegal drugs showed that 16,139 people were detained in 7,979 illicit drug abuse and trafficking cases nationwide from January 1 to December 29 last year.

More than 533.82kg of non-cannabis drugs, 288 packages of drugs, 74.51kg of dried marijuana and 164,925 marijuana plants were also confiscated, it said.

The report added that 944 non-two-wheel vehicles, 2,230 motorbikes, 5,924 phones, 376 scales, 26 handguns and 13 rifles were confiscated.

The authorities, it said, had also requested to impound a plot of farmland, two land plots and two flats.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through