Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police, land protesters clash

Police, land protesters clash

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
During Wednesday’s gathering, the authorities clashed with protesters for almost 10 minutes. No one was seriously injured, but some protesters suffered minor bruises. Heng Chivoan

Police, land protesters clash

More than 100 villagers, representing 197 families from Chi Khor Krom and Chi Khor Leu communes in Koh Kong province’s Sre Ambel district, protested again on Wednesday and clashed with authorities in front of the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction after the ministry had rejected their claims on Monday.

Det Hour, a representative of the families who hail from Chhouk, Chi Khor and Tany villages in Chi Khor Leu district and Chambak village in Chi Khor Krom commune, told The Post on Wednesday that she came to Phnom Penh to protest again because the ministry had declined to solve their land dispute.

She said the protesters gathered in front of the ministry to demand it find a resolution to their dispute with Heng Huy Agriculture Group, which has been ongoing since 2007.

During Wednesday’s gathering, the authorities clashed with protesters for almost 10 minutes. No one was seriously injured in the incident, but some protesters suffered minor bruises.

Hour said the police warned the protesters not to return because the ministry had decided not to address their concerns.

“I cannot accept it. It’s very unjust. They grabbed my land and gave my rights away, but the officials refuse to give us justice. We need our land back,” she said.

Another protester, In Thou, 40, also told The Post that the ministry’s decision was unfair. She said most of the 197 families had lived and grown crops in the area since 1993, with some villagers coming to live and farm there in 1995.

“In 2007, a private company owned by Okhna Heng Huy cleared the land and destroyed the villagers’ agricultural crops, and even threatened to kill me if I dared to protest,” she said.

Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction spokesman Seng Lot could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

A statement issued by the ministry on Monday said a related land dispute involving 987 families over sugar plantation concession land, used to produce sugar for export, had already been resolved.

“For the 197 families who came to protest at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction on June 1, claiming they were involved in the land dispute, in fact, they are not involved and will not be given a resolution,” the statement said.

The villagers’ petition requested that 421ha be removed from Heng Huy and returned to villagers. They also demanded compensation of $7,000 per family.

Heng Huy Agriculture Group owner Heng Huy could not be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM to vet NY holiday dates

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance submitted a letter to Prime Minister Hun Sen asking him to formally set a five-day national holiday from August 17-21 to make up for the Khmer New Year holiday in April that was postponed. Finance minister Aun Pornmoniroth sent

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Snaring may spawn diseases

    The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has warned that snaring of animals has become a crisis that poses a serious risk to wildlife in Southeast Asia and could spawn the transmission of zoonotic diseases to humans. Its July 9 report entitled Silence of the Snares: Southeast Asia’

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Residence cards set for over 80,000 immigrants

    The Ministry of Interior plans to grant residence cards to more than 80,000 immigrants to better keep track of them. The ministry announced the plan on July 10, following the results of an immigration census. “An inter-ministerial committee and many operational working groups have been set up

  • Kingdom produces PPE gear

    Medical supplies from Cambodia have been donated to member countries of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to assist in the fight against Covid-19, said an ADB report published on July 9. The report stated that the supplies were donated as a response to global efforts to

  • Kingdom, US vow stronger ties

    At an academic forum on Saturday to celebrate 70 years of Cambodia-US diplomatic ties, Cambodian researchers and officials expressed hope of encouraging US investments and for that country to deepen and improve its bilateral relations. Held at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, it reviewed the past 70

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea