Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police nab Thai national with 30kg of meth in Battambang province

Police nab Thai national with 30kg of meth in Battambang province

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A Thai woman was arrested with 30kg of methamphetamine on December 5 at Boeung Raing commune’s Svay Thom village, in Battambang province’s Kamrieng district. Police

Police nab Thai national with 30kg of meth in Battambang province

A Thai woman was arrested with 30kg of methamphetamine on December 5 at Boeung Raing commune’s Svay Thom village, in Battambang province’s Kamrieng district.

Deputy National Police chief Mak Chito told The Post on December 6 that police arrested Phanphom Rattana, 31, who lives in Bo Rai district’s Nong Bon commune, in Thailand’s Trat province, for cross-border drug trafficking.

“Our expert forces are collaborating with Thai police in searching for the ringleader and accomplices in Thailand,” he said.

According to Chito, after the crackdown, Phanphom and the drugs were handed over to the Battambang provincial anti-drug police before being referred to court.

Chito said Cambodia used to be the second country for cross-border drug traffickers to ship drugs into a targeted third country. But now, Cambodia has become their target country.

“Our research shows that 30 per cent of cross-border drug trafficking offences are committed by criminals in Cambodia, while the remaining 70 per cent involve transport to third countries,” he said.

Battambang provincial deputy police chief in charge of drug crime Koy Heang told The Post that after the interrogation on December 6 morning, the suspect was sent to the Battambang Provincial Court for further legal actions.

The confiscated evidence including 30 big packs of methamphetamine weighing 30kg, two mobile phones, two bank books and a passport were also handed to the provincial court.

“We have some clues about the criminal network in Cambodia and Thailand,” Heang said.

He said besides sending the suspects and evidence to court, the police are working with the Ministry of Interior’s anti-drug department to expand the cross-border collaboration with Thai authorities in searching for a ringleader and other related people both in Cambodia and in Thailand.

On December 6, Investigating Judge Hong Tith Molika placed Phanphom in pre-trial detention on charges of “illegal transportation and trafficking of drugs”, according to provincial court spokesman Phan Ratana.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Full country reopening to be decided in two weeks

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced that if the Covid-19 situation remains stable for 15 consecutive days from the end of the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, Cambodia will reopen fully, albeit in the context of Covid-19 whereby people have to adjust their lives to

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia voted ‘world’s friendliest country’ in Rough Guides reader poll

    Cambodia ranked number one among the “World’s Friendliest Countries”, according to a reader poll conducted by London-based international website “Rough Guides”. Taking submissions through Twitter and Facebook, “Rough Guides”, a well-known travel agency and publisher of guidebooks, said the Kingdom “was by far the