Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police officer summoned for reckless driving, killing family of four in Svay Rieng last year

Police officer summoned for reckless driving, killing family of four in Svay Rieng last year

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The officer allegedly drove his truck into a home, killing a couple and their two sons. Fresh News

Police officer summoned for reckless driving, killing family of four in Svay Rieng last year

A police officer who allegedly drove his truck into a house killing a family of four in Svay Rieng province’s Svay Chrum district last year has been summoned to appear at the provincial court on November 22 for questioning.

The officer, 35-year-old Sok Sopheak from Phsar Doeum Kor commune in Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district, has been summoned before but failed to show up in court.

The incident occurred on March 10 last year in Svay Chrum district’s Tasuos commune. According to one of the victims’ brothers, Neang Rin, the officer drove his truck into his brother’s house, killing him and his wife and their two sons aged two months to two years old.

Rin said: “I have never heard from the perpetrator whether to pay compensation or not, he keeps escaping.

“Since the day of the incident, the court has summoned me to appear in court three times, and the perpetrator has never shown up.”

Sopheak was charged with reckless driving and causing injuries and death under articles 83 and 85 of the Road Traffic Law.

Rin filed a claim to be compensated $30,000 for the incident.

“I just want to meet the perpetrator. I went to court, but I’ve never seen him. I only demand compensation. The punishment will be left to the law,” he said.

He said his younger brother was a motorcycle repairman and worked at a home-built workshop in front of his house. After the incident, the owner of the truck contributed two million riel ($490) to the funeral.

Provincial court spokesman Tep Phalla told The Post on November 10 that the court will issue an arrest warrant for Sopheak if he fails to appear in court.

“As per court procedure, the first step is to summon the perpetrator, but if he is summoned and does not appear for a third time, an arrest warrant will be issued,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • NY sisters inspired by Khmer heritage

    Growing up in Brooklyn, New York, Cambodian-American sisters Edo and Eyen Chorm have always felt a deep affinity for their Cambodian heritage and roots. When the pair launched their own EdoEyen namesake jewellery brand in June, 2020, they leaned heavily into designs inspired by ancient Khmer

  • Schools drawn into Manet degree row

    Prime Minister Hun Sen stepped into the Hun Manet-Sam Rainsy war of words over the validity of Manet’s degree from the US Military Academy at West Point, set off by Rainsy’s claims that Manet had received a “second-class degree” or “honorary degree”. Hun

  • Cambodia records first Omicron community case

    The Ministry of Health on January 9 reported 30 new Covid-19 cases, 29 of which were imported and all were confirmed to be the Omicron variant. The ministry also reported 11 recoveries and no new deaths. Earlier on January 9, the ministry also announced that it had detected the Kingdom's

  • The effects of the USD interest rate hike on Cambodian economy

    Experts weigh in on the effect of a potential interest rate expansion by the US Federal Reserve on a highly dollarised Cambodia Anticipation of the US Federal Reserve’s interest rate hike in March is putting developing economies on edge, a recent blog post by

  • PM eyes Myanmar peace troika

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has suggested that ASEAN member states establish a tripartite committee or diplomatic troika consisting of representatives from Cambodia, Brunei and Indonesia that would be tasked with mediating a ceasefire in Myanmar. The premier also requested that Nippon Foundation chairman Yohei Sasakawa

  • NagaWorld protest part of ‘conspiracy’

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court and police held a joint-press conference on January 4 to clarify details concerning the arrest of nine former employees of the integrated resort NagaWorld and the charges brought against them, saying that the authorities had clear grounds for taking legal action.