Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police official’s ward among theft suspects



Police official’s ward among theft suspects

Youths pose for a photo at a police station in Oddar Meanchey after they were arrested while attempting to break into a phone shop.
Youths pose for a photo at a police station in Oddar Meanchey after they were arrested while attempting to break into a phone shop. Photo supplied

Police official’s ward among theft suspects

The stepchild of an Anlong Veng district deputy police chief was one of four alleged serial burglars arrested on Sunday night by Oddar Meanchey provincial anti-economic crime police and local authorities.

Sreng Reasey, deputy chief of the anti-economic crime police, identified the 14-year-old suspect as the adopted child of Huot Sary, the Anlong Veng district deputy police chief.

Two of the other three suspects are also minors, aged 14 and 15, while the third was identified as Te Bo, 20.

Reasey said the four were arrested while trying to break into a phone shop in Trapaing Brei commune.

Yesterday, Sary confirmed that the suspect is his adopted child and lived with him since age 5, but three years ago, he sent the teen to live with his mother due to disobedience.

“Since then, I have no relation with him anymore,” he said.

According to Reasey, the four “are active burglars [that] used to break into some houses in the village, but the authorities had inadequate evidence to arrest them”.

Police, with the help of phone-shop owner Ou Roen and his relatives, caught the quartet as they were allegedly attempting to steal a motorbike and 75 mobile phones from Roen’s home-shop.

All four suspects reportedly confessed to the crime and were preliminarily charged with theft with aggravating circumstances and sent to the provincial court yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said