Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police questioning VoIP ‘extortionists’ in Siem Reap




Police questioning VoIP ‘extortionists’ in Siem Reap

Chinese nationals wait in a queue after they were arrested on Wednesday in Poipet in a raid on a VoIP extortion ring
Chinese nationals wait in a queue after they were arrested on Wednesday in Poipet in a raid on a VoIP extortion ring. Photo supplied

Police questioning VoIP ‘extortionists’ in Siem Reap

About 70 out of a group of more than 200 alleged Chinese scammers were questioned by police in Siem Reap yesterday over an alleged Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) extortion scheme, with 25 later being released, according to an official.

Uk Hai Sela, head of investigations at the Interior Ministry’s Immigration Department, said that questioning had shown that the 25 who were released were “just casino staff and rented a room in the same block”, but the remainder of the group was detained. He said that the rest of the suspects would continue to be questioned today. “But we are not sure if we can complete that, because there are too many,” he said.

He added that some of the suspects had arrived in Cambodia just over a month ago, while others had been in the country for as long as six months. The new arrivals had “just come to learn the technique, how to extort”, he said. Hai Sela said the police had not yet seen the passports of all those who were arrested, and were now trying to obtain those too.

“They all said they had passports, but . . . they said their team leader kept the passports and we are telling him to bring [them],” he said.

All of the suspects would be deported to China, he said, though a date has not been set. “When we get the exact number of how many are suspects . . . [we will let China] decide whether to bring them back in one chartered plane, or buy tickets” through an airline, he said.

Representatives of the Chinese Embassy could not be reached yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia

  • Cambodia, Vietnam exchange border maps amid criticism

    Cambodia and Vietnam formally exchanged border maps on Monday despite criticism from former members of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) that the Kingdom is losing land in the deal. The two countries said agreement on the border is 84 per cent complete, leaving