Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police search for suspect in killing of Cham woman

Police search for suspect in killing of Cham woman

Police search for suspect in killing of Cham woman

The body of a Cham woman who had been missing since Monday evening was found about 200 metres from her home in Tbong Khmum’s Prek Touch village on Tuesday morning and a suspect is on the run, authorities said on Wednesday.

Pin Chhun, chief of Tonle Bit commune, identified the victim as Tin Hai Sak, 24, who was expecting a child. The suspect allegedly used her hijab to strangle her.

A man and a woman were questioned by police in connection with this case, with the woman suspected of having brought Hai Sak to meet the suspect, Chhun said. Information from the woman led police to the suspect’s house, but he had already fled.

The man was suspected of having tipped off the suspect about the investigation, he added. As of Wednesday afternoon, both were still being detained.

Kob Less, Prek Touch village chief, identified the suspect as Krin Krai, and said there were signs at the scene indicating the victim had tried to fight off the suspect.

“On the victim’s fingernails there were hairs,” he said. “Police took those hairs, thumbprints and the hijab for examination.”

Saun Seang Hy, police chief in Tonle Bit commune, and Suon Seangly, police chief in Tbong Khmum district, declined to comment.

Prak Bun Nan, deputy police chief in Tbong Khmum province, said the victim was strangled, her neck was broken and she had other injuries, but police were still investigating.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will