Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police set to beef up security during Khmer New Year




Police set to beef up security during Khmer New Year

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
People play a traditional game during Khmer New Year celebrations last year. post pix

Police set to beef up security during Khmer New Year

National Police chief Neth Savoeun issued a directive on Tuesday ordering the authorities to ensure “safety, security and public order” during the upcoming Khmer New Year, which will fall on April 14, 15 and 16.

Savouen called on police units at all levels, including those in the capital and the provinces, to draft an action plan for their respective jurisdictions.

The plan, he noted, must cover “10 important points”.

He said: “Safety, security and public order, especially against terrorism, criminal activities and social disorder, must be implemented. All members of authorities must be able to prevent and crack down on any illicit acts in a timely manner.”

Additionally, Savouen instructed authorities to implement the “village-commune safe” scheme by keeping an eye on “warning signs” in all villages and communes across the country in order to “prevent crimes and any activities that may potentially result in social unrest – and which might harm people’s lives and damage property”.

In the statement, Savoeun advised police to safeguard the locations where people normally flock to during the holidays, including pagodas, temples, resorts and other such places.

He ordered authorities to keep watch on houses and other properties while many people were away visiting their hometowns and other places.

Savoeun requested that the head of each police unit submit their action plan by April 5 “at the latest”.

“They must fulfil their duties accordingly,” he said in the statement.

Meanwhile, Preah Sihanouk provincial police chief Chhuon Narin told The Post on Wednesday that his team already had a plan to ensure safety and security during Khmer New Year, while the province is also ready to host the Sangkran Sea Festival.

“In regards to safety and security for local and international visitors, our police team is in charge and are well prepared for it,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as