Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Polls a budget buster?



Polls a budget buster?

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
People went to vote in 2013 National Election.

Polls a budget buster?

The National Election Committee (NEC) will spend $53 million to conduct the July 29 national polls. The figure is higher than previously allocated, after the European Union (EU) and the US suspended donations following last year’s court-mandated dissolution of the Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP).

“For the national elections, spending will be about $53 million … that is our budget,” said NEC spokesman Dim Sovannarom. He said Japan, China and other international partners have provided relevant materials and equipment.

Sovannarom said the NEC spent $19.3 million to conduct the 2013 national elections and $42.7 million for last year’s commune elections. However, he declined to reveal the sum donated by the EU for those elections.

Spending for the July elections is similar to the annual budget of the Ministry of Labour, which receives $54 million.

Neutral and Impartial Committee for Free and Fair Elections in Cambodia (Nicfec) Executive Director Sam Kun-theamy, said the $53 million had been reserved in the national budget, and that the amount is huge for a developing country like Cambodia.

Kuntheamy also said that some countries in the international community would not recognise the results of the elections.

“If most of the first world countries do not recognise the election results, we will see the huge amount of money spent as a waste.

“When there is an international budget, they use it for the election. In the past, we spent less when we had aid and donations. The amount of spending and the result, whether it is recognised and worth it or not, has to be balanced,” he said.

Former CNRP lawmaker Cheam Channy said the upcoming election is meaningless and a waste of money as the international community will not recognise the results.

“The election is meaningless and a huge amount of money will be spent on a meaningless election . . . we can see that the international community, including the US and EU, have suspended their financial election donations, so to make up for the lost funding, the national budget will be impacted.

“This means that we suffer a double loss through spending on a meaningless election and loss of money from the national budget,” Channy said.

“The national budget is from tax and other income for the country . . . it is through the efforts of our people, and we are not spending the money properly on issues that matter, such as upholding democracy and respecting human rights.

“This is all a game. We already know that the ruling party will win the election 100 percent,” he added.

The EU declared suspending aid for the NEC on allegations that the national elections will not be free and fair, and because the CNRP was dissolved by the Supreme Court. The US also withdrew funding for similar reasons.

Political analyst Hang Vitou said on Tuesday that the budget will disappoint the people because it is through their efforts and taxes that the spending is being funded.

He also said the suspension of international aid by certain countries has damaged Cambodia’s reputation and will delegitimise the elections.

“The over $50 million allocated for the election is the people’s money, and represents the sweat and blood of the people . . . it affects the country’s reputation as we used to get international aid and donations for elections.

“But now, funding has been cut, placing more of the burden on the people because it is the national budget to which they contribute,” Vitou said.

According to a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on March 13, and obtained by The Post on Monday, the government recently transferred $1 million from the national budget to the NEC to help prepare for and conduct the election, and announce the results.

“The government permits the transfer budget of 4,279,000,000 riel . . . to the NEC for the management of the 2018 election,” the sub-decree said.

The EU pledged to provide €10 million to support the NEC in the 2017 commune elections and 2018 national elections.

It is not clear how much of that money was spent, but EU Ambassador to Cambodia Christopher George Edgar said in an interview in December last year that a large portion of that budget was already spent on equipment.

Previously, Edgar told the head of the NEC via a letter, that the CNRP’s dissolution meant that this year’s election, without the presence of the only viable opposition party, will not be legitimate and that the EU had no faith or trust in it.

In December last year, Hun Sen mocked the US and EU, saying they cannot force his government to do as they wished, and that his government is not concerned about any economic or diplomatic sanctions targeting Cambodian officials.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants