Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Positive resolution for families living on Sekong riverbank in Stung Treng town




Positive resolution for families living on Sekong riverbank in Stung Treng town

Positive resolution for families living on Sekong riverbank in Stung Treng town

Stung Treng provincial authorities are coordinating a huge relocation of more than 130 families living on the banks of the Sekong River to prevent landslides and contribute positively to the town’s aesthetics.

Stung Treng Provincial Hall spokesman Meng Kong said that most of the families have already agreed to move their homes to prearranged locations set up by authorities 2km from the riverbank and market in Stung Treng town.

“Most people have accepted the compensation and only a few others are considering it.

“Each family is due to receive a plot of land 10m-wide and 20m-long. The new locations have just been connected to the power grid with the promise of connecting clean water soon,” he said.

Between 500m to 600m will then be filled with concrete, with construction due to start later this year, Kong said.

“The riverbank was developed to stop landslides. If the people who live there have houses currently on the riverbank, we are prepared to move them to the new, safer housing land.

“Another aspect of the construction is for the aesthetics of the city. Families on the riverbank are harming the environment and they don’t have land titles either,” he said.

The Ministry of Information has confirmed that the Stung Treng district authorities have ordered residents of the riverbank, from the Royal House to the Mekong Bridge, to completely dismantle their houses by April 30th to allow authorities to develop a cleaner city.

Strung Treng district governor Say Kosal has informed the families on the Sekong riverbank in Prek village, Stung Treng commune, Preach Bat commune and along the Mekong riverbank in Ba Chong village of the move as part of the 2020 clean municipal development project.

A Stung Treng district administration’s Facebook post also said that the temporary dismantlement of slum buildings on the riverbank had been welcomed by 129 families.

Adhoc group coordinator Bey Vanny expressed support for the dismantlement plan, saying the authorities openly negotiated with the villagers and he did not witness any coercion.

“The authorities have tried to exchange or find a resolution at the people’s request. We applaud the resolution as it complies with human rights principles, civil rights, or housing rights and allows them to live legally in a housing area,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.