Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Pov conviction upheld



Pov conviction upheld

Former Phnom Penh Police Chief Heng Pov escorted by authorities to the Supreme Court for his hearing in March.
Former Phnom Penh Police Chief Heng Pov escorted by authorities to the Supreme Court for his hearing in March. Pha Lina

Pov conviction upheld

The Supreme Court yesterday upheld the conviction of disgraced former Phnom Penh Police Chief Heng Pov, who was sentenced to 18 years in prison in 2008 for the attempted murder of an Electricité du Cambodge worker.

Arguments on the appeal were heard on November 29, with Judge Kem Sathavy yesterday announcing that the municipal court’s initial decision was “right”, and would therefore be upheld.

The case was related to the attempted murder of Electricité du Cambodge worker Kem Daravuth in 2005.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court previously convicted Pov of ordering the killing of Daravuth, who was shot in the neck and left paralysed, after the electricity worker cut off Pov’s power after failing to pay a series of bills.

The court also upheld the same conviction for two others implicated in the crime, Hang Vuthy and Am Samkheng.

The Supreme Court upheld a separate conviction for Pov of 16 to 18 years in prison over the 1998 attempted murder of Uy Pang, publisher of Koh Santepheap newspaper.

Pov is serving a 103-year prison term for a number of crimes, including murder, extortion, illegal detention and possession of counterfeit money.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with