Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PP container thieves have case heard at Appeal Court



PP container thieves have case heard at Appeal Court

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Appeal Court. Post Pix

PP container thieves have case heard at Appeal Court

The Appeal Court on Tuesday heard the case of three people who were sentenced along with three others to six years’ imprisonment for attempting to force open a container to steal goods in Phnom Penh in 2016.

In the courtroom, one of the convicted men, Horm Brya, 25, told the judge that he had been a container truck driver for So Nguon Group for six years.

Brya said on November 11, 2016, his company had told him to drive the container to the port in Phnom Penh, but instead, he accidentally headed towards Preah Sihanouk province.

He said a man who he knew only as Kong – a foreman at So Nguon Dry Port – then tried to make him force open the container so he could steal its contents.

He said the foreman told two men – Thy Tith Eng, 38, and a 22-year-old man known as Roeurn – to wait at a location in Kampong Speu province to receive the stolen goods.

Meanwhile, Brya’s trucking company had alerted the authorities and he was arrested.

He said the Phnom Penh Municipal Court delivered its verdict on December 7, 2017, handing down a six-year jail term to all the suspects for attempted theft with aggravated circumstances according to Article 357 of the Criminal Code.

“I was told by Kong to force open the container but on that day I was really confused and had taken the container in the wrong direction. I request the judge to reduce my sentence,” Brya said.

Tith Eng told the judge that he and Roeurn were called by Kong to carry some stolen goods in Kampong Speu province, but when they arrived, Kong told them to leave the area because the company had been made aware of the plot.

“We filed a complaint with the Appeal Court as the sentences the lower court gave us were too heavy especially considering we were unsuccessful in our attempt to steal the goods."

“We have only stolen from containers two or three times. I request the court to give us a three-year sentence,” he said.

Prosecutor Tan Senarong said the appellants had not managed to steal from this container, but their behaviour should not be tolerated because it affected the country’s image.

“Stealing goods from containers affect Cambodia’s image. Sometimes when the containers arrive in other countries, only two or three boxes of goods remain. So I request that their six-year jail terms are upheld,” Senarong said.

The lawyer representing the three convicted men, Peung Yok Hieb, summed up by saying her clients had not actually stolen the goods.

She said the lower court had charged them with violently forcing open a container to steal goods under Article 357 of the Criminal Code and requested the court to amend the case and charge them under Article 356, for standard theft, instead.

Judge In Vanvibol said a verdict would be delivered next Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.