Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PP court releases Raiya on bail ahead of trial on December 20




PP court releases Raiya on bail ahead of trial on December 20

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Kung Raiya at the Supreme Court in Phnom Penh on October 28. The Phnom Penh Municipal Court released him on bail on Friday. Hong Menea

PP court releases Raiya on bail ahead of trial on December 20

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court released Kung Raiya on bail on Friday ahead of his trial for incitement to commit a felony on December 20.

Raiya's lawyer Sam Sokong told The Post on Sunday that he would request the court to drop the charge.

Sokong said the Phnom Penh Municipal Court's Judge Ouk Reth Kunthea announced the release of his client on conditional bail on Friday after the hearing on November 14.

He said he was pleased that the court had given his client bail as he was not guilty of the charges. The conditions set by the court mean Raiya has to appear in court on December 20, while he cannot go abroad, change his address or post messages regarding the case on Facebook.

“I am hopeful the court will drop the charge because I have studied his case and there is evidence that he has not committed a crime,” Sokong said.

He said a previous request with the Phnom Penh Municipal Court for bail had been denied. Further bail applications at the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court had also been rejected.

Raiya was arrested on July 11 after printing T-shirts featuring an image of slain political analyst Kem Ley.

He was charged with incitement for calling on the public to buy the T-shirts before the third anniversary of Ley’s murder on July 10.

Raiya's wife Sok Sreynich said on Sunday that she was delighted that the court had released her husband on bail after months in prison. Raiya not being at home had made it difficult to support their one-year-old daughter, she said.

“I hope that the court will drop the charges against my husband on December 20 because he is not guilty of anything,” Sreynich said.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court spokesman Y Rin could not be reached for comment on Sunday.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15