Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Sihanouk governor resigns after building disaster




Preah Sihanouk governor resigns after building disaster

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Preah Sihanouk provincial governor Yun Min was on Monday granted permission to resign by Prime Minister Hun Sen in the wake of the building collapse in Sihanoukville that has claimed 25 lives. Yun Min via Facebook

Preah Sihanouk governor resigns after building disaster

Preah Sihanouk provincial governor Yun Min on Monday afternoon was granted permission to resign from his post by Prime Minister Hun Sen in the wake of the deadly building collapse in Sihanoukville that has so far claimed 25 lives.

The collapse occurred in the early hours of Saturday morning, with 24 construction workers having sustained injuries in the disaster.

The prime minister wrote on his official Facebook page on Monday that he had “agreed” to allow Min to step down, adding that he was in discussions with Minister of Interior Sar Kheng to bring in “Kouch Chamroeun from Kampong Cham [province]” to replace him.

In a message announcing his resignation on his official Facebook page, Min also offered his condolences to the victims' families and asked for “forgiveness” from the prime minister.

Yun Min will continue to spearhead the search and rescue operation until it is finished and new governor Chamroeun takes office, the prime minister added.

Also on Monday, Hun Sen announced the removal of Nhim Vanda from his position as first vice-president of the National Committee for Disaster Management, after he allegedly lied regarding the nature of the accident.

“I would like to confirm that today I decided to remove Nhim Vanda as senior minister and first vice-president of the National Committee for Disaster Management for lacking responsibility and telling a lie,” Hun Sen said.

The seven-storey Chinese-owned building was 80 per cent complete when it collapsed with construction workers staying inside.

Authorities have received severe criticism following the accident as they failed to halt the unauthorised construction despite numerous violations by the developers.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.