Preah Sihanouk provincial military police detained 15 suspects earlier this week for threatening and robbing people of their belongings.
The prosecutor at the Court of First Instance is still questioning the detainees on Tuesday before sending them to the investigating judge.
Provincial Military Police judicial bureau chief Chheng Vuthy said on Tuesday that all the suspects are men aged between 23 and 51 years, and were construction workers.
“The prosecutor started questioning the suspects on Monday but was not able to complete the job. The court then requested that they be allowed to stay at the military command for a night before continuing to question them on Tuesday morning.
“They are alleged to have threatened people before robbing them of their belongings,” he said.
Forces from Preah Sihanouk provincial Military Police detained them in Bit Traing commune, in Prey Nop district, on Sunday.
Vuthy said authorities retrieved an excavator, four motorbikes, a cutting machine, six knives, two cleavers, 11 slingshots, two home-made guns, a hammer, nine mobile phones, a battery, two caps and two carry bags.
Adhoc Preah Sihanouk provincial coordinator Cheap Sotheary said criminal offences in the province had increased noticeably.
She expressed appreciation for the efforts of the authorities to tackle crime and said the arrests showed criminal offences had increased. People, she said, are concerned about their safety in line with the dramatic increase of foreigners and newcomers to the province.
“We are also concerned about the flow of foreigners and new people. There are both good and bad people. The authorities and the public have to cooperate to stop the offence and provide information. The court system must also enhance its law enforcement activities,” she said.