The Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration plans to start a large-scale vaccination drive for people 18 and over from June 21, while Svay Rieng is also planning the rollout of vaccines.
Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesman Kheang Phearom told The Post on June 17 that many vaccination sites had been set up. Small scale vaccinations started from June 17 and the process has run smoothly with people getting jabs in an orderly fashion due to prior preparations by authorities, especially the preventative measures.
“Vaccinations are for people from the age of 18 and older, factories workers, and all foreigners residing in this province,” Phearom said, adding that more than 4,000 people in the province have contracted Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community outbreak, with 22 deaths.
According to the announcement by governor Kuoch Chamroeun on June 16, the province initially prepared five locations for vaccinations which started on June 17.
He said the province has more than 200,000 people aged 18 and over, but around 10,000 of them have already been vaccinated. The remainder will start receiving vaccinations from June 21.
“To avoid large gatherings of people who come for the vaccine, we have set up 19 locations – five each in Sihanoukville and Prey Nop district; four in Kampong Seila district; two in Koh Rong town; and a location in Stung Hav district. The other locations are in the Special Economic Zones,” he said.
He added vaccinations will be administered by medics from the provincial health department, Ream Naval Base and Brigade 70.
In Svay Rieng province where many workers have recently been tested, authorities held a meeting on June 17 to plan the vaccination campaign. The meeting was attended by provincial governor Men Vibol and Lieutenant General Chab Pheakdey, the commander of Paratrooper Brigade 911.
According to the provincial administration, the vaccination drive will focus on factory workers and the general public, though the actual vaccination plan is yet to be finalised, said provincial administration chief Hem Sina.
Separately on June 17, Royal Group chairman Kith Meng donated $3 million to the government for the purchase of Antigen Rapid Test Kits for Covid-19.
He said the rapid test kits will help the government reduce transmission risks.