Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Vihear boy badly injured in mortar fuse explosion



Preah Vihear boy badly injured in mortar fuse explosion

Preah Vihear boy badly injured in mortar fuse explosion

A nine-year-old boy from Preah Vihear lost his fingers and vision following a mortar fuse explosion, while in a separate incident, a Ratanakkiri man sustained severe injuries on some parts of his body in a homemade grenade blast, authorities of the two provinces said.

Preah Vihear’s Choam Ksan commune chief Sorn Tin told The Post on Monday that the boy had picked up an 80mm mortar fuse from the street while he was on the way home from school. At his grandmother’s house, the victim lit the fuse, causing it to explode.

The boy’s right eye, right leg and stomach were wounded by shattered pieces from the mortar and three fingers from his right hand were cut off, Tin said.

“Based on the preliminary [medical] result, the boy‘s right eye will be blind,” he said, noting that he has been hospitalised at the Siem Reap Referral Hospital since Monday.

Speaking to The Post on Monday, Chhorn Bun Chhoy, 36, said his son had lost three of his fingers and that he needed an eye surgery immediately.

“His doctor told me that his right eye will be blind because his pupil had been damaged by metal fragments. The wounds on his leg and stomach are not too serious, but the boy had lost three fingers,” Bun Chhoy said.

In Ratanakkiri province, an ethnic Jarai sustained severe injuries on the head and chest, and had his right wrist slit, after his homemade bomb went off.

O’Yadav district police chief Souy Samnang on Monday identified the victim as Pouy Yuch, 46, a resident of Dar Thom village in Yatung commune.

Before the accident, Samnang said, the man had filled a can with gunpowder that he gathered from six pieces of firecrackers. The do-it-yourself explosive was intended for fishing.

“The villagers who reported the accident to the police said Yuch’s right wrist was slit and his head and chest were wounded."

“After the local authority intervened, the victim was sent to a hospital in Vietnam. Until now [Monday], he has yet to return home,” Samnang said.

He said the authority has often warned people in the area of combustible risks of explosives such as firecrackers and gunpowder.

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there

  • Cambodia lauded for fight against Covid-19

    Cambodia has drawn global accolades for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, with a new report finding that the Kingdom has controlled the pandemic better than any other country in Asia. Dr Takeshi Kasai, director of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Western Pacific region,