Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Vihear land returned after high-level meeting




Preah Vihear land returned after high-level meeting

A screenshot from a Mother Nature video, in which Yem Phart accuses gold-mining company Delcom of land grabbing. MOTHER NATURE
A screenshot from a Mother Nature video, in which Yem Phart accuses gold-mining company Delcom of land grabbing. Mother Nature

Preah Vihear land returned after high-level meeting

A woman in Preah Vihear province who in a video by environmental group Mother Nature alleged she had been victim of a land-grab by a gold mining firm linked to the Prime Minister’s Bodyguard Unit was given most of her land back after a high-level meeting last week, an official said yesterday.

In the July 10 video posted to Facebook, Yem Phart said that the mining firm Delcom had taken land from her and others, was involved in illegal gold mining, and that its representatives claimed to have connections to Hing Bun Heang, commander of Prime Minister Hun Sen’s Personal Bodyguard Unit.

Soum Moth, chief of Romtom commune, said that a meeting to resolve the issue took place on Friday, with Provincial Governor Oun Chenda, representatives of the bodyguard unit and officials from the Land Management Ministry, as well as the district governor, district police and soldiers in attendance.

“There were about 100 authorities who came that day to solve the disputes,” Moth said.

He said the company agreed to pay her $50,000 for her land but that Phart had wanted $300,000, and so turned down the offer. He said she would get part of her land back, and $2,000 in damages.

Phart confirmed that authorities gave her a title for 12 hectares of the 15 hectares she had held. “They made us suffer for three years, and the $2,000 is not enough for that,” Phart said.

Neither the Ministry of Mines and Energy nor Bun Heang could be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.