Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Vihear protesters call for release of villagers



Preah Vihear protesters call for release of villagers

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Chea Kimseng speaks during a meeting at the Choam Ksan District Hall on Tuesday. CHOAM KSAN DISTRICT ADMINISTRATION

Preah Vihear protesters call for release of villagers

Some 100 villagers from Preah Vihear province on Monday protested at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, seeking a resolution to their long-running land dispute, as well as the release of 13 villagers who have been detained for alleged land grabbing.

Lay Ly Huor, a representative of the protesters, told The Post on Tuesday that the villagers have been locked in a land dispute with a private developer known as Metrei Pheap on the borders of Preah Vihear and Oddar Meanchey provinces.

“The court has summoned 25 villagers [for questioning]. So far it has charged and detained 13 people. I asked the ministry to have them released. We also asked to live on the disputed land pending a compromise,” he said.

Ly Huor said he is collecting thumbprints for a petition he intends to hand to the Ministry of Land Management and Prime Minister Hun Sen.

Provincial environment department director Song Chansocheat said the 13 villagers have been placed in pre-trial detention since January 19 for allegedly clearing state forest and grabbing land owned by Metrei Pheap.

“They were arrested for encroaching on [the company’s] economic land concession and clearing forest for private ownership,” he said.

Choam Ksan district governor Chea Kimseng said authorities have been seeking a compromise to the long-standing land dispute between Metrei Pheap and the 300 villagers.

He said the district authority was still compiling a report for the higher authority to find a solution after surveying the disputed area.

“In 2017, more than 280 families who were involved in the land dispute with Metrei Pheap filed a lawsuit. As a local authority, we could only conduct a survey."

“We have finished surveying land for between 60 and 70 families. We can’t draw any conclusion yet. Some villagers claimed the forestland was theirs, but we can’t base our conclusion on crops, such as corn, on their land to prove that they actually own the land."

“The survey hasn’t been completed. Concerning their detention, I can only report to the provincial authority,” he said.

Provincial governor Un Chanda could not be reached for comment on Tuesday. Provincial court prosecutor Ty Sovinthal declined to comment, saying only that the villagers were detained on the same charges.

The prosecutor previously told The Post on January 22 that they were detained for encroaching on the protected area and charged with unspecified forestry crimes.

Lor Chann, the provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said the detention of the 13 villagers could tarnish the government’s image and urged for a speedy resolution to the land dispute.

“It’s the provincial prosecutor’s right to charge them, but this is merely a land dispute, not an environmental crime. Why has the prosecutor pressed charges against only ordinary people? How about powerful military personnel who also have land in the area?"

“The government should review this case again and intervene to help local people in the area. If you let [military] generals do whatever they desire, the innocent people will get irritated,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting