Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Vihear villagers say they will not move

Preah Vihear villagers say they will not move

Preah Vihear villagers say they will not move

Villagers will defy a third order to vacate their houses in Preah Vihear province to make way for a government office and told the Post yesterday that forced removal would result in violent clashes.

The National Authority for Preah Vihear yesterday ordered 132 families in Svay Chum village, Kantuot commune, Choam Ksan district, to leave their houses by next Wednesday.

Lor Chan, a coordinator for human rights group Adhoc, said the villagers had been told on December 15 to resettle in Samdech Techo natural village, but had refused to leave their homes.

An initial order to leave – coming after a new royal decree dated December 10, 2011 – had also been defied because the decree was not legitimate, he said.

“The new royal decree to which the National Authority for Preah Vihear referred to was not signed by the King and was not copied to the Prime Minister,” Lor Chan said.

Village representative Phan Phoeun said the families stood firm in opposition to their eviction as they believed they had the right to stay.

“We have lived in the village more than 10 years, growing all kinds of fruit crops. The new place, a remote area in the forest far from the national road, is very difficult to live in,” Phan Phoeun said.

Svay Chrum villager Sao Yath said all villagers had submitted a letter to the provincial court on Monday calling for urgent intervention. “If there is [forced] removal, there will be a violent clash. The villagers will protest without withdrawal. Some who went to live in the new area came back because it was very hard,” he said.

Hang Soth, the general director for the National Authority for Preah Vihear, said the decision to resettle Samdech Techo had been made according to a request from UNESCO and the royal decree.

“The authority needs the Svay Chum village area to build an office and a tree seedling ground,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not