Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Vihear villagers summoned to court for ‘detaining’ bulldozer



Preah Vihear villagers summoned to court for ‘detaining’ bulldozer

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Villagers seize bulldozers operated by the Lan Feng and Ruy Feng companies that were clearing the land in dispute with the community in 2014. adhoc

Preah Vihear villagers summoned to court for ‘detaining’ bulldozer

An investigative judge at the Preah Vihear provincial court warned that he would issue arrest warrants for two NGO staff and about 10 Kuoy indigenous villagers in relation to a land dispute with two companies if they failed to appear in court on Wednesday.

In a summons dated September 27, Judge Chean Sros summoned Poek Sophorn and Lut Sang, both employees of the Ponlok Khmer NGO based in Preah Vihear, to appear in court on November 14 for questioning concerning a charge of “arrest, detention, and unlawful confinement”.

“The individuals must bring along documents related to the case if they possess them. [If they decline] to appear at the above-mentioned date, we will issue an arrest warrant,” read the summon letters dated September 27 which villagers only received on Saturday.

On Sunday, Poek Sophorn said that back in December 2014, some 300 villagers stopped about six bulldozers operated by the Lan Feng and Ruy Feng companies that were clearing the land in dispute with the villagers.

The villagers held the drivers and two of the bulldozers for a night before the authority brought them and the vehicles to the Brame commune hall, before taking the drivers away.

“At that time, I went to monitor the matter in case the villagers wanted to set fire to the bulldozers. About 2km from the village, we saw the authorities, companies’ representatives and a prosecutor stop and take photos of us."

“They saw me and Lut Sang and took photos of us. Then I left for my workplace because it was already late afternoon,” Sophorn said.

He said the court had already summoned villagers and him once in mid-2015 and some villagers had appeared in court already. However, he did not appear because his name was written wrongly. He said he also returned the summons this time as his name was still wrong.

Lor Chann, an Adhoc coordinator in Preah Vihear, said on Sunday that 10 villagers were accused of illegal detention and confinement and two Ponlok Khmer NGO staff members were accused of being accomplices.

However, Chann believed that the 12 accused did not commit the crime of which they have been accused.

“They kept the bulldozers at the commune hall, but the companies sued them for illegally confining people and the bulldozers. The bulldozer drivers did not leave because they feared the villagers would burn the vehicles."

“The people did not confine the drivers because they did not block them from leaving or put them in a room or at any place. The fact is that the drivers were in an open space. They could go anywhere they wanted to, but they stayed there to protect their bulldozers,” he said.

Chann said some people had tried to stop the bulldozers several times before they eventually decided to seize them and seek a solution from the authority.

The Cambodian Centre for Human Rights (CCHR) said in a statement on Saturday that the two bulldozers were given back to their owners last year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • PM dispels lockdown rumours, gifts masks

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on November 12 denied rumours that he will lock down the country in response to increased Covid-19 fears, referring to them as propaganda aimed at destabilising the country. In a Facebook post, he said some people had spread rumours that the government

  • SilkAir adds flight to Phnom Penh schedule

    Silkair (Singapore) Pte Ltd is increasing its flight frequency between Phnom Penh and Singapore with a third weekly flight on Saturdays, according to Cambodia Airports’ Facebook page. The other flights offered are on Tuesdays and Sundays, with an estimated Phnom Penh arrival time at 5:35pm