Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Vihear villagers win small concession

Preah Vihear villagers win small concession

Villagers seize bulldozers
Villagers seize bulldozers earlier this week during a land dispute in Preah Vihear province involving a community forest. ADHOC

Preah Vihear villagers win small concession

After villagers in Preah Vihear’s Brame commune briefly held two drivers hostage and confiscated bulldozers on Monday due to an ongoing land dispute, two Chinese concessionaire companies and provincial authorities agreed yesterday to temporarily cease the clearing of contested land in the area.

During a meeting with the Chinese firms and authorities yesterday, 200 community members demanded Rui Feng International and Lan Feng halt the three-year clearing project on their lands as it greatly reduces the standard of living of the 367 families, many of whom are ethnic Kuoy minorities.

“The company cleared our forest, resin trees and farming lands, making us poor and leading us to lose out ethnic identification,” said community representative Nuon Mon.

In response to the demand, Sou Serey, Preah Vihear's deputy governor who presided over the meeting, said that while the province has no right to withdraw ELCs, they will work on resolving the land dispute.

“We have also have no right to close the company, but we’re trying to solve the ongoing dispute,” Serey said. “It’s the right of the people to not accept it.”

Villagers requested a six-month cessation, but Serey could not confirm how long the clearing will be halted.

Currently, officials are demarcating property to determine ownership of the lands.

“We are waiting for the commune to map the community and our committee will demarcate the community,” Serey said.

The decision was several days after Brame community members briefly kidnapped two company drivers and confiscated bulldozers on Monday to bolster their opposition. The drivers were subsequently released and the machinery returned to the companies the following day.

Separately, in Mondulkiri, about 100 Phnong ethnic minorities in Keo Seima district yesterday seized a bulldozer owned by Vietnamese company Boeun Peouk in protest of land clearing in the area.

According to villagers, Boeun Peouk has destroyed crops while clearing land in the district and their pleas for discontinuation have fallen on deaf ears.

“We have no hope the provincial authorities can settle it for us,” said community representative Nuon Vin. “We’re not going to hand it over to them so the company can come and settle this dispute.”

The Vietnamese company has been granted 8,926 hectares of land in the area.

MOST VIEWED

  • PP massage parlours raided, 29 suspects held for prostitution

    The Phnom Penh municipal Military Police on Sunday raided four massage parlours in Por Sen Chey district and detained 29 suspects for questioning over their alleged involvement in prostitution. Deputy municipal Military Police commander Pu Davy on Monday said the four massage parlours were located near

  • PM: All 10 Asean countries to receive Rainsy arrest warrants

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Thursday that all 10 Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) member states will receive warrants for the arrest of Sam Rainsy. The warrants have already been sent to Laos and Thailand. He was speaking at a joint press conference at

  • Overtourism still threatens Angkor Wat

    Ticket sales to the Angkor temples are down. An Angkor Enterprise report has revealed that ticket sales to the Angkor Archaeological Park dropped by more than 11 per cent from the same period last year. Prime Minister Hun Sen isn’t concerned. He told journalists that

  • Human rights report biased, says Cambodia

    Cambodia has accused the 42nd session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva, Switzerland on Wednesday of having “undermined the principle of objectivity”. In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN said the Office of the