Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Press incidents heighten concerns



Press incidents heighten concerns

Press incidents heighten concerns

I N recent days, a newspaper publisher's house was grenaded and a reporter was fatally

shot, while several papers and a TV program were criticized, warned or suspended.

Although the motives for the violence are still not clear, together the incidents

are raising questions about what degree of freedom and safety the Cambodian press

enjoys.

"I'm very scared now, I don't dare go out," said Thong Uypang, publisher

of Koh Santapheap (Island of Peace) newspaper.

He was unhurt after a pair of unidentified men on a motorcycle tossed two grenades

at his house in the early hours of Oct 15. One device exploded outside the walls

while the other went off inside the compound, damaging a car and smashing windows.

"It's too early to say if the motive was political or not," said Mok Chito,

head of the municipal criminal police.

However, Uypang's newspaper recently published articles critical of CPParty president

Chea Sim, and Uypang has implied such criticism may have prompted the attack.

An international journalists' group, Reporters Sans Frontieres, sent an Oct 15 letter

to King Norodom Sihanouk asking him to move to "to guarantee the free flow of

information and the safety of journalists."

Two days before the attack, a Cambodian reporter was shot dead by a security guard

at a Phnom Penh market. Ou Sareoun was investigating illegal payments which guards

allegedly demanded from market vendors, according to his director.

Sareoun was working for Samleng Reas Khmer (Voice of the Khmer People) newspaper.

His father, the publisher, has publicly alleged that his son was killed because he

had criticized the government, although police declined to comment on the motive.

Several Cambodian reporters have been killed or wounded in recent years after apparently

angering powerful figures. However, local human rights workers said that they are

not sure about the motives behind the recent incidents.

Meanwhile, confusion reigned over whether an outspoken democracy activist's political

television show had been canceled. The "Programs and Solutions" talk show,

run by Khmer Institute for Democracy director Dr Lao Mong Hay, "is already closed",

Information Ministry media chief Leng Sochea told the Post .

But Khieu Kanharith, Secretary of State for Information, denied the closure. "There

has been no official decision - up to now he can continue to broadcast."

Khieu Kanharith acknowledged that he had spoken to Lao Mong Hay to express his displeasure

about the activist's comments at a recent seminar in Bangkok. "He said there

is no freedom, no democracy, that [opposition] MPs are barred from entering the country

... we ask him at least not to blindly attack the government."

Mong Hay was unavailable for comment at press time. But sources close to him confirmed

that while he had been unofficially notified of the closure, a meeting with Khieu

Kanharith had "settled the problem" and that the programs could continue.

In other recent incidents, a Khmer-language newspaper, Antarakum (Intervention) was

suspended by the government after printing a photo of rebel military chief Nhek Bun

Chhay's head superimposed on Second Prime Minister Hun Sen's body.

"[The editor] apologised, and I allowed them to resume their publication,"

said Khieu Kanharith.

Another newspaper, Prayuth (Fight), has not resumed publication after being suspended

for 30 days for allegedly exaggerating government casualty figures in northern Cambodia.

Although Kanharith said the paper was free to resume, Prayuth staffers claim that

a government lawsuit is preventing further publication.

Khmer-language Chakraval (Universal), seen as pro-government, received a warning

for claiming the suicide of the King would be "a happiness for the Cambodian

people."

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year