Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prey Veng man held for rape of daughter, 15




Prey Veng man held for rape of daughter, 15

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A 42-year-old man was arrested on Monday for allegedly raping his 15-year-old daughter in Russey Sanh commune in Prey Veng province’s Sithor Kandal district. Police

Prey Veng man held for rape of daughter, 15

A 42-year-old man was arrested on Monday for allegedly raping his 15-year-old daughter in Russey Sanh commune in Prey Veng province’s Sithor Kandal district.

District police chief Seng Savorn said the suspect will be sent to the provincial court. “This is a rape case and we have filed a report. How it proceeds is up to the court,” he said.

Citing the girl’s accounts, he said the man allegedly raped her four times and threatened her not to tell anyone.

The suspect, he added, is known for drinking and domestic violence, with his wife mostly staying away from home because of the beatings.

The couple, who have three daughters, were workers at brick kilns and did not have a permanent residence.

The man allegedly raped the oldest daughter last month while his wife was away. After learning of the alleged rape, she filed a complaint to commune officials who reported it to the police.

“When the commune officials reported to the authorities, I immediately referred the victim for a medical check-up which proved positive,” he said.

He said the forensic team consisted of doctors, technical police officials and representatives of the Prey Veng provincial Women’s Association. Following the forensics results, the prosecutor ordered the suspect’s arrest.

Savorn said the man did not confess, but the police have a strong forensics case. “We have solid evidence and are not just levelling a charge without proof,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Police arrest 29 Chinese for PP kidnapping

    Phnom Penh Military Police arrested 29 Chinese nationals on kidnapping charges on Wednesday. The suspects are said to have abducted three other Chinese nationals from a hotel in Chaktomuk commune, Daun Penh district. The operation took place on Wednesday and was led by two deputy commanders –

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia