Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Price of justice for Khmer Rouge up $10m

Price of justice for Khmer Rouge up $10m

Price of justice for Khmer Rouge up $10m

The estimated cost of the proposed Khmer Rouge genocide trial (KRT) in Phnom Penh

is now over $60 million, which is up $10 million on the initial forecast.

The United Nations is expected to meet 75 percent of the cost. Cambodia is relying

on donations from member countries to cover its share but so far only Australia has

made a commitment of $2.2 million.

Trial task force secretariat member Dr Helen Jarvis confirmed the estimated cost

was now over $60 million and it was subject to discussion and review by potential

donors, the Government and the UN.

"Although we are concerned about the cost we have to be careful not to jeopardise

the international standards required," Jarvis said. "There is a risk that

could happen with budget cuts.

"Compared to the cost of other current ongoing genocide tribunals, it is a modest

amount for the estimated three years the trial is likely to run. The Yugoslavia tribunal

is costing $200 million a year, Rwanda over $100 million a year [and not scheduled

to end until 2010] and Sierra Leone $60 million a year."

She said the secretariat was very pleased about the Australian Government's decision

to double its original pledge and hoped this would encourage other donors.

Asked whether the Government was concerned about meeting its share of the cost, Jarvis

said: "We understand that the reason no further donors have come forward is

they're waiting for a final budget figure before making commitments. I don't think

they're holding back for any other reasons.

"The Interested States [group of UN member countries which have actively supported

the KRT] have put forward 50 different ideas and suggestions for enhancing processes

and facilities, or reducing costs. Everyone is taking a supportive, realistic view."

The question of what might happen to the trial if there was no National Assembly

to pass the additional enabling legislation drafted since the first law on the establishment

of the Extraordinary Chambers was passed in 2001, had not arisen, she said.

KRT Task Force was "using this period to advance the preparations to a higher

degree than is usually possible with these courts". A security committee was

appointed in March, and work was proceeding to create a separate victim and witness

support unit, governed by internationally agreed standards.

The UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan, on May 18 appointed Nicolas Michel from the

Swiss Foreign Ministry as the new head of the UN legal office, replacing Hans Corell

(Sweden) who has retired after 10 years service, which included negotiation of the

Extraordinary Chambers agreement with Cambodia.

Jarvis said Michel would be involved in advising on the selection of nominations

for international judges for the KRT. This is the most complex section of the EC

law and agreement.

Meanwhile, there have been interesting developments around an order from the General

Prosecutor of the Appeals Court Hangrau Raken requesting the prosecutors of Battambang,

Banteay Meanchey and Siem Reap Courts to charge and arrest three former KR leaders,

Khieu Samphan, 73, Ieng Sary, 75, and Nuon Chea, 77.

The order dated April 9 stated that it resulted from a petition of April 5 by representatives

of the National Assembly and heads of various NGOs. They were concerned that the

three "may go into hiding abroad, given that all three are in possession of

passports." The charges were to be laid under articles of the 1994 law outlawing

the Khmer Rouge.

The General Prosecutor finally noted that it would be necessary to first examine

the 1996 Royal pardon of Ieng Sary, against his conviction and death sentence (in

absentia) by the genocide tribunal in 1979.

However, none of the prosecutors acted on the order, saying they lacked documented

evidence, funds or judicial power.

Two other former KR leaders Ung Choeun a.k.a. Ta Mok, 77, and Kaing Khek Iev, alias

Duch, 62, were arrested in 1999 and have been detained without trial ever since under

a special law to keep them in custody.

MOST VIEWED

  • Former opposition leader tells soldiers, Cambodians to unite to fight CPP

    Former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) President Sam Rainsy has called for a popular uprising after the July 29 national elections to force a change of government. He called on the armed forces and people to stand united to fight the ruling Cambodian People’s Party-led

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Bun Heang mocks US, threatens its citizens in scathing open letter

    After being hit with sanctions from the US Department of Treasury, Cambodian General Hing Bun Heang said he would retaliate against any US national who does not respect his country’s sovereignty, has ambitions to invade Cambodia or incites “traitors” in the Kingdom to do

  • Police warn boycott FB group involved in the “Clean Fingers Campaign”

    Police said on Tuesday that they will pick up members of a Facebook group involved in the “Clean Fingers Campaign” that promotes a boycott of next month’s national elections. However, police merely planned to “educate” the group for now, but warned that if the