Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Principal transfer sparks protest

Principal transfer sparks protest

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Students and teachers of Preah Sisowath High School stage a rally to protest the Ministry of Education’sdecision to transfer their school principal on Wednesday. Hong Menea

Principal transfer sparks protest

Hundreds of teachers and students from Preah Sisowath High School (Lycée Preah Sisowath) took to the streets on Wednesday to oppose the transfer of their school’s principal and to voice dissatisfaction over the New Generation School (NGS) programme.

The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport decided last week to reassign the school’s director, Mul Suyheng, to an administrative position within the ministry.

Speaking to The Post yesterday, ministry spokesman Dy Khamboly confirmed the transfer, noting that it is a common practice.

“We will transfer him to the general secondary education department under the education ministry. We usually carry out [the transfer] when there is a need for it,” Khamboly said.

Nob Savuth, a history teacher at the school since 1999, joined the rally since Wednesday morning. She expressed her objection to the principal’s reassignment.

“Usually, when [the ministry] wants to transfer someone, it is because they have made a mistake. They told us he did not make any mistake and that he is capable of assuming the principal’s role … therefore we wonder why they transferred him all of a sudden."

“If he is capable, let him stay. [The transfer] is not a promotion, it is a demotion and they framed him. He has never made any mistake or made the staff suffer during his tenure in the school,” she said.

A Preah Sisowath student, Sam Thary, shared the same sentiment, saying: “I think there is much unfairness [in the process]. Usually, in the ministries or institutions, such transfers would require participation and voting from staff members. This is a democratic country, so why don’t we act accordingly.”

Thary and the other participants at the rally voiced their displeasure over the hosting of NGS in their school. They expressed the belief that it creates a division, or what some called “discrimination”, among the students.

As of press time, Mol Suyheng could not be reached for comments pertaining to his transfer.

NGS is part of a government education reform programme – a new development track within the current education system that enables the creation of autonomous public schools.

“The ministry has established 10 NGS’ already. Among them, six are secondary level while the other four are primary schools."

During the interview with The Post yesterday, Khamboly also shared that there have been 50 students filing new complaints since the second announcement of the national examination results on Friday.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro