Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prison chief denies extortionist’s claims



Prison chief denies extortionist’s claims

Inmate Yem Bros, 43, was busted by authorities in Prey Veng province on Tuesday after he was caught allegedly using sexually compromising materials to extort money from victims
Inmate Yem Bros, 43, was busted by authorities in Prey Veng province on Tuesday after he was caught allegedly using sexually compromising materials to extort money from victims. Fresh News

Prison chief denies extortionist’s claims

The director of Prey Veng Prison, where an inmate allegedly used phones and a computer to get sexually explicit videos from a woman before extorting her for hundreds of dollars, yesterday denied the suspect was given permission to access the net, but conceded “loopholes” had allowed prisoners to access the forbidden devices.

Speaking a day after word emerged of the extortion – which was allegedly abetted by prison guards – Chuon Sarim said prison staff were not able to stop prisoners from using the devices, but claimed it was not condoned.

The suspect had told police that Sarim’s deputy, Um Rayoeung, was the one who had granted him internet access.

“We don’t allow them to use [it], but there are loopholes in the prison. I cannot say more as the investigation is underway,” Sarim said yesterday.

Serial thief Yem Bros is expected to be charged after a 45-year-old Kandal woman told police in the province that she had shared sexually explicit videos and photos with a man online who then threatened to disseminate them unless she paid thousands of dollars in ransom.

The woman handed over $520, while videos featuring other women were also found on a laptop used by Bros, who was yesterday transferred to Phnom Penh’s Prey Sar prison while the General Department of Prisons conducts its investigation.

Spokesman for the department Nut Savna said a team had already been dispatched to Prey Veng Prison to question those allegedly involved, including at least two prison guards alleged to have collected the money for Bros.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could