Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prison release: Court gives bail in land mine case

Prison release: Court gives bail in land mine case

Prison release: Court gives bail in land mine case

Prison release
A Banteay Meanchey man charged last month with placing an explosive device in a public place was released on bail after spending nearly three weeks in prison.  “I still insist that I did not have any intention of killing anyone,” Kim Sath, 42, said following his release on Tuesday morning.  Kim Sath was arrested on February 13 after he and his wife unearthed a piece of unexploded ordnance, which he placed beneath a tree to await removal by authorities. His release followed an appearance by his wife at the court for questioning connected with his case. Soum Chankea, provincial coordinator for local rights group Adhoc, welcomed the release, but regretted that the court detained him without clearly investigating the case. Long Cheap, deputy provincial prosecutor, declined to comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not