Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Private schools get NSSF break while parents protest fees



Private schools get NSSF break while parents protest fees

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has postponed National Social Security Fund payments for private schools. Hean Rangsey

Private schools get NSSF break while parents protest fees

The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has decided to allow private educational establishments to delay paying a fixed levy for six months to the National Social Security Fund (NSSF).

The decision was made at the request of th​e Cambodia Higher Education Association (CHEA) on April 10.

A letter dated on April 23 from Minister of Labour and Vocational Training Ith Sam Heng was sent to CHEA chairman Heng Vanda.

He wrote that the ministry will allow the association’s 113 educational establishments to delay payment from April to September.

“In case the Covid-19 situation ends before September and a government notice is issued requiring educational establishments at all levels and of all kinds to run again, they are obliged to pay from that month,” the letter read.

The decision was made by the ministry just as some private educational establishments are facing protests by parents.

On Saturday, parents of students at the private CIA First International School demanded a 50 per cent discount on tuition fees for students in grades 1-12 and fees for pre-school to be suspended.

The demand was made after the school said it would lower the tuition fee by only 15 per cent for students in grades 1-12 and by 25 per cent for those in pre-school.

On April 22, 97 families gathered to protest in front of the Paragon International School to demand a 30 per cent discount on tuition fees for all levels of studies, while students are studying online.

They also demanded that the 2020-2021 academic year enrolment be delayed.

On Friday, the CHEA appealed to parents to fill up the lower tuition fee forms and not to protest in front of schools to prevent Covid-19 infections.

The appeal was made as the CHEA claimed that private education establishments are also being hit hard by Covid-19, since it was announced that education services had been suspended since March 14.

“The CHEA firmly believes that parents or guardians of students will join [the association] in making concessions to each other and being very patient in a win-win solution for all to get through this difficult stage,” its letter said.

The CHEA said private educational establishments were running into difficulty and were hit hard with paying staff salaries, rent, interest and the principal to banks apart from other expenditure. The number of students was also on the decline.

Additionally, some private educational establishments have proactively decided to lower tuition fees themselves.

Lim Sok, whose children study at CIA, said that until now, the school had not yet decided to accept the request from the parents, despite two protests.

He said parents have now agreed to a 45 per cent lower tuition fee.

“My two children study at the school. I pay the school around $10,000 for books, technology and school fees. What we ask is they lower the fee for three months due to the Covid-19 virus,” Sok said.

Ministry of Education spokesman Ros Soveacha said the government had encouraged all the private schools to hold talks with relevant parties to find a common solution.

Watch video:

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year