Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Probe 'will not interrupt KRT'




Probe 'will not interrupt KRT'

Probe 'will not interrupt KRT'

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Criminal investigation into corruption at Khmer Rouge tribunal will not

interrupt Duch's trial, Municipal Court prosecutors say, despite legal

overlap.

Photo by:
AFP

Toul Sleng prison chief Duch at the Extrodinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia on Friday.

PROSECUTORS at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court claim that a criminal investigation into corruption at the Khmer Rouge tribunal will not interrupt the first trial at the court, that of Tuol Sleng prison chief Kaing Guek Eav, which is scheduled to begin in the middle of proposed investigations with judges and administrative staff.

Sok Kaliyan, deputy prosecutor at the Municipal Court, told the Post Tuesday that he expected investigations, which had already begun, to take a maximum of two months, after which a verdict could be given.

Despite the initial hearing for the torture chief's trial scheduled for February 17, Sok Kaliyan was confident investigations would not interrupt the highly anticipated first trial.  

"They are different things," he said.

International defence lawyers for former Khmer Rouge Brother No 2 Nuon Chea filed a criminal complaint to the civil court Friday, claiming Sean Visoth, the government's top official to the Khmer Rouge tribunal, as well as the court's former chief of personnel, Keo Thyvuth, violated criminal law by "perpetrating, facilitating, aiding and/or abetting an organised regime of institutional corruption at the ECCC during the pending judicial investigation".

The complaint also accused judges of misdemeanours, prompting Cambodian judges to make a statement denying the allegations.

Foreign lawyer summoned

Sok Kaliyan confirmed that one of the foreign legal adviser for Nuon Chea, consultant Andrew Ianuzzi, had already been summoned to the court and would appear on Thursday to be interviewed.

He said summoning the complainants was the first step in the inquiry, after which he would decide who else to summons.

"The complaint is divided into two parts - the first part relates to people working in the head of administration and the second relates to judges - so after I interview the complainants, I will decide who to interview from these [sections of the court]," he said.

Ianuzzi said Tuesday he was ready to be summoned to the court.

"We are looking forward to helping the court," he said. 

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old