Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prosecution rebuts filing over expert witness



Prosecution rebuts filing over expert witness

Expert witness Alexander Hinton gives testimony before the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia earlier this year. ECCC
Expert witness Alexander Hinton gives testimony before the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia earlier this year. ECCC

Prosecution rebuts filing over expert witness

The prosecution at the Khmer Rouge tribunal has hit back at a call from Nuon Chea’s defence team for expert witness Alexander Hinton to yield his primary source research to the trial chamber.

In a filing dated May 19, the prosecution said the defence’s request “should be denied”, saying it was “untimely” and was so broad it would amount to a “fishing expedition”.

Hinton, who is the director of Rutgers University Newark’s Centre for the Study of Genocide and Human Rights, testified in March about the anthropological research that shaped his book, Why Did They Kill?

The defence had claimed Hinton did not give specific information on his sources, but according to his testimony, Hinton was unable to reveal the identity of an interviewee without their approval or consultation with his university due to academic protocols.

The prosecution maintained the defence’s request could delay proceedings. “Nuon Chea’s assertion that ‘there is simply no evidence that Hinton actually conducted field research in Cambodia’ is not credible,” the prosecution’s filing reads.

Hinton declined to comment.

Meanwhile, after a lengthy debate yesterday during the tribunal’s first hearing in two weeks, the court announced it would adjourn for a further two weeks to allow parties to review additional evidence in the ongoing Case 002/02 ahead of the testimony of S-21 prison director Kaing Geuk Eav, better known as Duch.

“The chamber will hear [a witness] for three days” starting June 2, said trial chamber president Nil Nonn. “Duch will then be questioned by all parties.”

The appearance from Duch – who was convicted in Case 001 – will be his second as a witness in Case 002 against Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Cintri strike ends, workers’ contracts to be terminated

    CINTRI (Cambodia) Ltd rubbish collectors who have been on strike for the past 13 days agreed to return to work starting Wednesday evening after the company agreed to terminate their contracts at the end of January next year and provide seniority payments and other benefits to

  • Inmates evacuated, schools closed as flooding takes toll

    Thousands of students in Battambang province missed school while over 1,000 prisoners in Banteay Meanchey province were evacuated because of rain-induced floods in the past few days. Yi Songky, director of the provincial Department of Education, Youth and Sport, said floods affected 316 schools in Battambang. Over 200